Irish Red (Smithwicks style) - 12 months later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC-Hokie

Reaction score
So I haven't gotten into the bottles that I've had aging for a while, and today opened a 22oz bottle of my Irish Red that I brewed last year. This beer has been good, but this bottle is Great! I couldn't remember when I brewed this beer, so I looked back at my brewing notes...

I brewed this beer on 8/3/2011. A complete coincidence that I opened this bottle exactly 12 months later. I can't believe that I had the patience to even hang on to beer this long. I really enjoy sampling bottles at different weeks to test the difference. Lesson learned, I need to brew more so I can age longer.

Now for a question...I just ordered a dual corny keg set up from Midwest Supply. I will brew this weekend and keg this next batch. How important is it to let beer age in a keg? Do I put that on gas to remove the oxygen and then leave at room temp, or do I keep it in the fridge? On or off the gas?

Here's to the patience to not rush our brews and to let them age to perfection!

Cheers,
Mike

You could store it warm or cold, but you will want to hit it with co2 and purge several times to get the oxygen out of the headspace.

Back