yeast paste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgre

Reaction score
this is a first for my new batch today. I didn't use liquid yeast for the first time. the yeast packet that came with my recipe instructed me to make a yeast paste. 10 table spoons of water for 10 grams of yeast and stir for 15 min with water at 80 degrees. i thought this was odd only because this is the first time for me making a yeast paste. does that sound normal?

this is a first for my new batch today. I didn't use liquid yeast for the first time. the yeast packet that came with my recipe instructed me to make a yeast paste. 10 table spoons of water for 10 grams of yeast and stir for 15 min with water at 80 degrees. i thought this was odd only because this is the first time for me making a yeast paste. does that sound normal?

Yes, rehydrating dry yeast in warm liquid is very important. The lavlin and fermentis yeasts I have used recommend a slightly warmer temperature but otherwise the procedure is similar. I would always rehydrate dry yeast per manufacturer's instructions and if their are no instructions look up info on their website for commercial brewers, they will include rehydration instructions there. Yeast manufacturers, for better or worse, consistently dumb down their advice to homebrewers.

Back