Hot, Sweaty, and Happy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
Did I do this correctly or close enough?

AHS Mini Mash Wee Heavy (Scotch Ale)

5.25 Gallons OG expected 1.088

used stove top Minin-Mash Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics) and it went very well temps: 155 ~ 152 for one hour.

used tap water for the first time final boil volume just shy of 4 gallons (i need a bigger pot)

topped off to just over 5 gallons, shook it for 5 minutes.

took OG reading 1.089

then added 3 liters of starter OG 1.032

total volume is now 5.5 gallons.....

should I have chilled the started and decanted? or am I in the ballbark????

sorry about posting this as a reply to a previous thread....

No i was concerned about the volume of the starter.. it was @ 68* but I thought/read about refrigerating the starter and decanting most of the wort and only pitching the concentrated yeasties at the bottom..bottom....

I think I'll have another beer while cleaning up...

Also made a double batch of dog biscuits :)

I think he means, put it in the fridge, then decant the liquid, and pitch the yeast slurry.

You'll be fine.

If you had a smaller beer with more delicate flavor then putting the starter in the fridge and decanting would be better. But considering it is a Wee Heavy, there is nothing to worry about.

Ed

Okay, I pitched @ about 68* and placed the bucket in the basement, where the air temp is in the mid to low 60s. The ale started bubbling out the blow off tube 3 hours later. When I checked it this afternoon the temperature had risen to about 75* and it was really getting active with some blow off in the tube.

I thought that it may continue to rise so I put it in a swamp bucket and am working it back down towards 68*

Wouldn't have known what to do without having read this board for the last couple of months!

Latest posts

Back