Keg Valve/post Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SowegaBrews

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers. I apologize for the length of this post, but we're havin tha issues....

Me and a good friend have been brewing for a few months now. Before we even bottled our first batch we were gathering the essentials for a keggerator setup. We were very fortunate (friends in the bev biz) and obtained the vast majority of our keg setup for free. (2 kegs, fridge, regulator)

We kegged our second batch, a very delicious Honey Porter. Now we have an Oatmeal Stout in the 2nd keg, ready to go... except that we can not, for the life of us, figure out why our valves/posts in the 2nd keg are not working. The gas-in works fine, but it's the line-out that is giving us problems.

The kegs we got were many, many years old. To our knowledge, they had been sitting unused for at least 2 years, probably many more. Despite that, they still held pressure fine, even before we replaced all of the seals. Our first keg is working fine, no problems whatsoever using the posts that came on the keg.

However, the posts on the 2nd keg seem to have a different size thread or something. It came with oddly shaped posts. here are some pics, the old one is on the right.

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03854.jpg

DSC03855.jpg

we bought new posts, hoping it would correct the problem, but it didn't. when i try to thread on the new post that i ordered it doesn't thread far enough on, and beer leaks out of the valve.

the grey valve fits on the old post, and the new post. But the black valve will not fit the old post, but does fit on the new post. The black valve will go about halfway onto the old post, far enough to open the valve... but it wont click down and seal.

please, if any of you have any insight as to what i can do... HELP!!!!:drunk:

if need be i can snap a photo or two of the actual threads on the keg. just let me know!

I'm not sure but I know this if a post has a line in it it is a gas post I remember Line=In both have an "N". The washer may be compressed and not allowing your post to seat all the way down (gap left between post and seal) or you may have the wrong popit inside the post try switching them. No other ideas.

Grey=Gas sounds like you put two Beer Posts on one keg and two gas on the other. As long as you are not forcing them on I see no real problem they work the same way and have the same insides just different size.

i'll just use 2 gray valves since it fits on the post that seals.

still not sure why the black valve would fit on one of them if they're both gas valves... but i dont really care i just want beer!

thanks!:mug:

Back