How long to leave on trub....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I'm new to the home brew world and looking for some opinions. I've got my first batch, an amber ale OG 1.042 in the primary fermentor (6 gal carboy) for 5 days now. I decided to take the advice of the texts I've read and only use a single fermentor for my first batch.

Most texts say do not leave beer condition for more than 3 weeks in the primary otherwise ill-tasting components of the trub might affect the taste of the beer. I obviously want my beer to be able to condition as long as it will improve the beer, but not too long....any thoughts from the experienced? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

Thanks a lot!

If you're not using a secondary, then two weeks at a minimum IMHO, and 3-4 weeks certainly won't hurt anything.

Why not use a secondary? Why in the world would books recommend that other than cost savings on equipment?

You'll like your beer a lot more if you buy a glass carboy to use as a secondary. Your beer will be clearer and cleaner tasting. You can use your bottling bucket as a primary also so you only need the two vessels.

Well worth the effort. Cheers :D

Janx said:
Why not use a secondary? Why in the world would books recommend that other than cost savings on equipment?

You'll like your beer a lot more if you buy a glass carboy to use as a secondary. Your beer will be clearer and cleaner tasting. You can use your bottling bucket as a primary also so you only need the two vessels.

Well worth the effort. Cheers :D

Ditto.

It's something a newbie can do without trouble, and your beer will thank you for it.

loop

loopmd said:
Ditto.

It's something a newbie can do without trouble, and your beer will thank you for it.

loop

Thanks guys. I took your advice and transferred tonight. I even took a little taste of the beer I had siphoned into my clyinder for a gravity measurement. I was excited that it tasted like beer, well minus any carbination. Thanks again for the input.

Latest posts

Back