F Earth Day!!! (Rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MNBugeater said:
This might be the most complete and truthful statement made about the 'green' movement. It is the very group that force feeds false truths about the global warming that also states that 'nature' is all powerful and cannot be harnessed. They also claim that we if we don't do something drastic soon then it will be too late.

The fear mongering is numbing and monotonous. The same paranoia was pitched in the 70s in regards to global COOLING. Which, when all the facts are on the table, is truly much more of a concern than warming.

The global warming scare is more of an attack on capitalist culture and lifestyle than it is a serious concern for environmentalist. They lost traction in the fight against logging, mining, hunting/fishing, so the entire global climate became the new focus. It is merely a social and political dogma that unites like-minded people with little substance.

Wow...that got longer than I had initially planned... I guess I'll be expecting some flamage. Sorry about that.

+1 I agree. I'll take some of your flamage, we can share in the bashing.

Anybody up for starting a pool on how many posts will make it into this thread before it gets closed? :D

kornkob said:
er-- Lots of marriages. Do you not have friends whose wives you'e never met or only met once?

I meant the option to run in a different social circle than my wife, in order to avoid her friends. And I was completely kidding, I don't dislike any of my wife's friends - some I don't go out of my way to see....but you get my point.

And no friends come to mind who's wives/husbands I've never met or only met once.
Edit> Also, I like the side conversation we're having in this thread, lets keep it going.

How can Green be a left anti-capitalist "movement" and be an unapologetic and opportunistic endeavor in which market forces decide (read: capialistic)?

Seems to be some couching of definitions here.

kornkob aluded to this but it needs clarification.

Earth Day and Global Warming are not synonomous.

One would be imprecise to use these interchangable just as it would also be wrong to suggest that Capitalism and NAFTA can be used interchangably.

I guess I've been busy stacking 2x4's and plywood to jump in this morning. I'm celebrating Earth Day by preparing the site for the BrewHaus. This means digging some holes and cutting down a tree.

BrewHutLocation.jpg

The left tree on the group of 3 on the right has to go. The rest will stay. I have to dig 4 anchor holes so the BrewHaus can be strapped down for high winds.

Happy Earth Day ya'll

And Dr. Korncob rocks!

RICLARK said:
That is friggin funny a damn Prius lol. Hummers are ugly, poorly made, they get 9 miles to the gallon and they are all driven by tiny women who cant see out of the damn things let a lone get into a parking space, They are a waste.

They drive those H2's cuz they have "my husband has small pee pee" syndrome. My wife drives one of these.

car6[1].jpg

:ban:

On Earth day I think we should focus on religious and political banter instead. Maybe some aluminum and bleach topics as well.

olllllo said:
Earth Day and Global Warming are not synonomous.

I Absolutely Agree.

landhoney said:
I meant the option to run in a different social circle than my wife, in order to avoid her friends. And I was completely kidding, I don't dislike any of my wife's friends - some I don't go out of my way to see....but you get my point.

And no friends come to mind who's wives/husbands I've never met or only met once.
Edit> Also, I like the side conversation we're having in this thread, lets keep it going.
Sorry-- I thought you were being serious.

I think I know about half my friend's wives well enough to ask them meaningful questions about their lives or interests. The others are pretty much strangers to me. I can think of one guy off the top of my head who I meet up with about every week and I don't think I've actually laid eyes on the mother of his children (or his kids) in over a year.

Jennifer and I have separate friends and a few who overlap. She has a whole slew of people she enjoys spending time with that are literary types who I find largely boring. I have a passle of people she doesn't like because we tend to be a bit abrasive with each other and she doesn't like to be around that. There are only a handful of people we both hang out with together or separately.

I dunno I see a lot o that. Now-- I'm not saying everyone is like that. I knwo there are couples who never hang out with anyone but people who their partner hangs with. My across the street neighbors are like that: they do almost everything together and they hang out in the same circles even when they are apart.

RICLARK said:
Hummers are ugly, poorly made, they get 9 miles to the gallon and they are all driven by tiny women who cant see out of the damn things...
Here in Los Angeles, they are primarily driven by middle-aged men who didn't have the guts to go through with their penile-implant operation, but still want to make a similar statement.

Oh yeah, pro-basketball players like em' too. :D

I want to recycle but get kicked in the nuts for it. I had a bag that I would keep aliminum cans in until the apartment manager fined us for "keeping trash in the storage unit". She went nuts when she saw the beer bottles and almost kicked us out. My guess is she thought I was making meth or something. I now keep them in a box labeled "keepsakes". :) She refuses to put up recycling bins because "they attract bugs" and she won't let us keep our bikes downstairs because "it doesn't look nice". The really sad thing is I've looked at other apartments and they have similar policies for the same reasons. Mesa is like that. They big talk about how we need to change to save the earth but are more interested in big cars and big homes and looking pretty. Just like a former VP I know who wouldn't give up his SUV and drive a fuel effecient car if his life depended on it. Instead he'll PAY someone else to reduce their carbon foot print so he won't have to.

flyboy said:
Just like a former VP I know who wouldn't give up his SUV and drive a fuel effecient car if his life depended on it. Instead he'll PAY someone else to reduce their carbon foot print so he won't have to.

You know, I still don't understand the whole "buying carbon credits" thing. So, I am going to maintain my lifestyle, but pay someone to do the things I don't want to do so I feel less guilty about the way I like to live? Besides being hypocryitical thats just.... well...... stupid.

flyboy said:
Instead he'll PAY someone else to reduce their carbon foot print so he won't have to.

Now there's an idea. I'm pretty comfortable in size of my carbon footprint. That said, I'd be happy to put a compost bin or two in the backyard, bike to work more often, or plant a few extra trees on my property if anyone wanted to by carbon credits from me. Can I sell my extra carbon credits on ebay or craigslist, or do I need to go to the stock exchange or something?

deathweed said:
You know, I still don't understand the whole "buying carbon credits" thing. So, I am going to maintain my lifestyle, but pay someone to do the things I don't want to do so I feel less guilty about the way I like to live? Besides being hypocryitical thats just.... well...... stupid.

You could always buy Carbon Debits. :D

carbondebitcertificate.jpg

McKBrew said:
On the topic of global warming, do you know what makes me hot? I like to hug trees. When I am hugging them I picture them getting ripped from the earth by a big yellow machine and layed flat on the grown with their branches ripped off. Then this orange machine picks them up and throws them on the back of a BIG Sexy Diesel Burning Rig and they get carried away to be turned into something else. Nothing like a little coniferous necrophelia to make MY Happy Tree stand up.

lmao. Get the drill out...
:D

edit : Are you a woodpecker!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back