Silly, silly problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Reaction score
So I've got this awful expensive and exciting beer in mid-lag in my primary - a Duvel clone - and I've realised I might have made an awful, tragic, hilarious, tragic mistake.

The starter kit I bought from my local beer store included a plastic primary and lid. The lid has no hole for a plug or airlock, and they recommended I just place the lid loosely on the fermentor.
"Oh, no," thought I; "that just won't do for me," thought I.
So I took the lid, and I took my airlock, and I did trace that airlock well and cut out a hole. Poorly.
I stuck the airlock in, and it did stick, but it wasn't airtight. So I busted out my furniture glue and injected it around the airlock, to seal it off.
By this time, the wort had cooled, so I dumped it in the primary and put the newly-airlocked lid on while I waited for it to cool the rest of the way to pitching temperature.

So, I've pitched my yeast now, and also discovered to my horr? that the glue is water soluble. Looks and acts a lot like Elmer's.

How bad will it be if the krausen rises up and wets the glue, and drips it into the beer? It'd be less than a teaspoon, but still some delicious vinyl compound all in my beautiful belgian beer.

Thoughts?

It really is a tiny amount that would get in; I cleaned off everything except the bare minimum needed on the bottom to keep the airlock airtight. If stores were open I could get some silicon cement or something to lock it in, but that would involve leaving the beer uncovered for too long. I figure, we've all eaten Elmer's paste as toddlers and been alright, so it won't kill me, and a teaspoon in five gallons shouldn't kill the flavour too badly. Optimism, right? That's the general rule here?

Kai said:
It really is a tiny amount that would get in; I cleaned off everything except the bare minimum needed on the bottom to keep the airlock airtight. If stores were open I could get some silicon cement or something to lock it in, but that would involve leaving the beer uncovered for too long. I figure, we've all eaten Elmer's paste as toddlers and been alright, so it won't kill me, and a teaspoon in five gallons shouldn't kill the flavour too badly. Optimism, right? That's the general rule here?
That's the spirit! How bad could it taste after all!

If you cleaned it off, you will be fine, I am sure. And the silver lining is that if the beer doesn't turn out, you can blame that damn glue instead of your brewing skill! ;)

So how long a lagtime until I start worrying? Wyeast 1214, didn't swell much but still showed some activity in the ten hours I gave it. It's a high-gravity beer, I measured around 1.060, and I'm not sure whether it's well-enough aerated (I poured it splashily, and then several hours later when it was pitching temperature I stirred it vigourously until it showed a nice head).

It's probably still too early to be worried, under twenty-four hours, but with liquid yeast I keep hearing about three, six hour lagtimes, so I'm inclined to worry the glue killed 'em.

So here's where I am right now: we racked to secondary, and sampling at that stage it tasted pretty good, but I swear there was a hot alcohol/solventy off-flavour [I disagreed - ed.]. In the secondary, we've had some of the glue float to the top, and now there are some floaty mold spots. As well, we added another pound of corn sugar going into secondary as per the instructions, and it's mostly fermented out now.

I'm thinking that before I rack my current to my other carboy, I rack this one to a different secondary [tertiary? - ed.] to get the mold out and get it off the slurry from the second sugar addition. Acceptable?

So I'm going to re-rack to another secondary unless someone advises against today. As harmless as Palmer, and forum searches, say mold is, it's gotta be eating something and excreting something in there, so I figure the sooner I get it off the better.

Any one have an opinion?

Pictures would help. Leftover fermentation and the co2 gas it produces can look like mold in the secondary.

I'm guessing all is well, but there is no harm in racking to a third vessel. Have you been taking readings along the way?

Back