freezer control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbsj

Reaction score
I've been eying a chest freezer at lowe's and started looking at the temperature control units at the different brew stores. i'm trying to do this somewhat econmicaly but was wondering if there was a big difference in durability and performance between the less expensive units like the johnson control and the digital units that run $100 +. keeping a freezer warm really isn't that important to me since i live in texas and the temperature drops below frezzing maybe 10 days out of the year (the great 4 day ice storm of '07 closed down like half the state). also, are there any cheaper oprions out there? my lhbs has the johnson for $70 and i saw northern brewer has them for $52. any feedback is appreciated.

I bought the JC controller from NB, works awesome, it is all that you need. Temperature varies by 3 degrees F... temp of the wort never changes. Used it on my heffe last week!

Pol

You can find the Ranco ETC-111000 on ebay for around $50 used probably $70 new. I got one for $50 shipped. I like it, digital read-out, easy to wire, long sensor, etc. You could probably build one with a dial thermostat and relay for $20.

Latest posts

Back