First big beer, first partial mash, first oak aged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prymal

Reaction score
I just ordered the AHS Whiskey Barrel Porter mini-mash kit it will be my first beer over 4.5% and my first partial mash. I am planning on aging this beer until late November or December do you think this would be enough time for a beer that will get a kick from whiskey barrel chips and a pint of bourbon? Also I think I am going to keg the beer so where would be the best place to condition. in the keg or in secondary on the whiskey chips?

7% before adding the whiskey. I think I am going to let the beer condition on the oak chips for a month then transfer into a keg with the whiskey and I'll let it sit for another month before I tap the keg. However, now typing this out I think I would be stupid to keg the beer at all. This will be a one glass a week kind of beer, do I really want to tie up a keg with something I may not even finish in 6 months. Now I am thinking to add the whiskey with the oak chips to seconday for a month then bottle condition for atleast a month.

Does that sound acceptable?

Well if It were me I would do something closer to 8-9% if adding whiskey and oak, 7% in my opinion is too close to a session beer but thats just me. Also chips impart an acceptable flavor within 1-2 weeks so its important to sample the beer every week.

Oak cubes on the other hand can sit in the beer for months and are said to impart a fuller oak flavor. If you keg with them your beer will gradually have more oak flavor so it might not be the best idea unless your planning on drinking it fairly quickly.
Also be very careful with the adding the whiskey adding a little at a time then sample to get the flavor balanced.

Sounds like a good beer. Im doing a oatmeal imperial stout soon, a 9.5%, 90 ibu with oak chips that have been sitting on JD for 6 months. I cant wait.

Good luck Im sure it will taste great!

That is great information to have elpenso thanks. I will definatly start tasting the beer as it sits on the whiskey barrel chips to make sure i dont go overboard.

Brewed the Whiskey Barrel Porter last night.

Undershot my Mash-in temp at 146 so heated a 2 quarts of water to 165 and ended up overshooting with the Mash resting at about 159 for 45 minutes I wanted 154.

OG 1.067 (should have been more like 1.073)
Pitched Safale S-33 at 64 degrees at about 8 PM last night.
by 9:00 AM when I woke up the beer was happily bubbling away at about 70 degrees.
I am hoping for an FG of 1.020 - 1.017.

Back