Life of a CO2 bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleMule

Reaction score
Hey All, I was considering the whole kegging thing. It does seem more convenient and quicker, but I had a couple of logistical questions I could not find the answers to in the search.

I was wondering, in general, how many 5 gallon kegs (forced carbed and served) could I expect to get out of a 5 pound bottle (or 10#, 20#, etc.) of co2?

Also, how much are people paying to get their bottles refilled or to get an exchange?

THANKS

Depends on location.

I pay just over $20 for a 20# tank. A 20# should last you several months, barring any leaks.

Go with the largest tank you can fit. My tank is outside, so I went with 20#. The cost of filling a 2.5#, 5#, 10#, and 20# are all pretty close. I have a 2.5# tank, my local brew place wants $12 for an exchange, when I can get a 20# exchanged at a different location for $20. An extra $8 for 8 times as much co2.

Latest posts

Back