Perforated steel hop spider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone build a hop spider out of perforated stainless? I don't use pellets, so in theory I can go with perf over mesh. Probably would need to go smaller than 1/4" however. Stout tanks sells a hop basket for their 3BBL system with 2mm holes on 10mm centers.

McMaster has a bunch of different sizes, but twice the cost.

Amazon.com: Stainless Steel 304 Perforated Sheet, Staggered 1/4" Round Perfs, 5/16" Center Spacing, 58% Open Area, 20 Gauge, 36" Width, 40" Length: Industrial & Scientific

3 BBL Systems | Stout Tanks and Kettles - Conical Fermenters

Last edited by a moderator:
I made one and have been using it for about two years. It is about 4" diameter and 16" deep. the perf is 3/32 holes on 5/32 centers. Stainless steel of coarse.

hop strainer 1.jpg

hop strainer 2.jpg

I made one and have been using it for about two years. It is about 4" diameter and 16" deep. the perf is 3/32 holes on 5/32 centers. Stainless steel of coarse.

brilliant, i wonder why this not the norm? this makes more sense to me than a bag. where did you buy the material?

brilliant, i wonder why this not the norm? this makes more sense to me than a bag. where did you buy the material?

The material was left over from a non brew related project at work. I had one of our fabricators roll and weld it and add the handle. He created the twisted key stock handle to give it a custom look.

even with pellets it would block a good portion of it i would think, but i have seen that perforated sheet with smaller holes. on the hunt now.

Latest posts

Back