Tartness, what can i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klainmeister

Reaction score
Alright so i made some cider. I used Wyeast bavarian hefeweizen and 2 lbs orange blossom honey. It's aged quite a while and now it is rather tart, is there a way to get rid of some of this tartness before i go to bottle in which i plan on carbing? Thanks

Yep. There sure is. You need to buy a malo-lactic bacteria. Available in wine shops, it converts the tart malic acid in fruits into a less tart lactic acid.

My cherry cider has been sitting on the bacteria for a month and its taste is MUCH improved.

Thanks, that's the info i needed. I tasted it today and was woofed by thealcohol presence, but the damn thing is delicious except for the tartness!

I deliberately bumped this just to give Klainmeister an update...

When you use the malolactic bacteria, you will eventually see a white film on top of your cider. I freaked out and bottled at that point, however, there are indications that there is no need for concern. I dunno. A cursory review indicates that this may be an indication that it's finishing up. It doesn't appear to be an infection.

But what do I know? I usually make beer.

Back