Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamensis

Reaction score
While I'm building my keezer (see my other thread), I'm also building a fermentation chamber. My build was inspired by several others in this forum. I live in Tucson so I can only really brew a few months of the year using ambient room temperature. However, even then we can get 40 degree temp swings during the spring and winter so this can create a problem. I started with a mini fridge I got for free and stripped the guts out. Then I built a frame using 2x4s that is big enough to fit two glass carboys. I have insulated the inside using 1" insulation (double layer on the floor). I will be using expanding foam and reflective tape to seal it up before I put in a floor. I will going the ebay aquarium controller route for temperature control. More pics to come as the build progresses.

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8544.jpg

IMG_8573.jpg

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8584.jpg

It will fit my 6.5 gallon and 5 gallon glass carboys at the same time.

Isn't it a fair amount of work for only a 2 carboy capacity? A slightly enlarged floor would have held 4 (or even more). I bought a used bottom-freezer fridge that can hold 4x 6.0 carboys and it's been awesome.

M_C

Isn't it a fair amount of work for only a 2 carboy capacity? A slightly enlarged floor would have held 4 (or even more). I bought a used bottom-freezer fridge that can hold 4x 6.0 carboys and it's been awesome.

M_C

Yeah, it is a bit of work and expensive. In the end it would have been cheaper and easier to get a freezer or fridge. However, I built this because space is a premium (this will be kept inside), so it is built to be 'just big enough'. A fridge/freezer would have been too big.

Latest posts

Back