Did star-san residue screw up my ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyedoctodd

Reaction score
Hey all -

Brewed up a nice ESB, partial mash, everything went great. When I transferred to secondary after a week, I remarked how clear the brew was already. My racking was immaculate also.

Last Saturday, I kegged it and again in the transfer hose, the beer was brilliant. I put a few samples of this crystal clear uncarbonated ESB into glasses for my neighbors to try (room temp). All was well.

I force carbonated with about 10 PSI and decided to try a sample last night to see where the carbonation was at, and the beer is all cloudy. It tastes OK, although different from when it was warmer and not carbonated. I wondered if this was chill haze, so I warmed some up to room temp and it is still really cloudy (see attached picture).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10653834&l=cfd13aa0d6&id=856135695
(Let me know if the link doesn't work) It has the clarity of a Hefe.

The beer also had ZERO head. I know this style should have little head but I was surprised there was none. I know it's kind of early into the carbonation but jeez.. I'm wondering if that's connected to the cloudiness.

The keg I put it into had been PBW'd and sanitized with Star san when I last used it a few months ago. I stored it with the Sanitizer inside to keep it ready. When I kegged, I simply dumped out the Sanitizer and it looked normal. I did not rinse out the Sanitizer as you are not supposed to need to.

I'm wondering if residue from the Star San screwed up the beer, at least its clarity? I brewed an APA the same night I kegged, and left some equipment in fresh sanitizer overnight and the next morning things had that slippery residue on them. Does this residue actually affect kegged beer?

Any thoughts on this and whether it is fixable?

Thanks for any insights

Todd

:confused:

no. star san will not affect clarity, head retention, or flavor.

sounds like chill haze to me.

Thanks guys, - Assuming it's just chill haze, I guess you'd suggest letting it be perfectly still for some aging period to hopefully have the protein drop to the bottom?

Back