no more foam in bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewp

Reaction score
Attempting a Tripel right now. Its been fermenting since Sunday night. I had a very healthy layer of foam (klausen?) for the first few days but now it seems to have gone flat with much less activity in my air-lock?

Does that mean its done fermenting or just slowed down? Should I repitch more yeast? I added two packets of Safbrew-58 initially.

Thanks in advance.

it read 1.030 yesterday. i didn't check it today. OG was 1.076 but i think that was undershot since it was right after i filled up the bucket to the 5 gallon mark

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years....Especially since this is a huge beer it's still got a lot of work to do, it just no longer has to be so visual.

i was definitely relieved to see the hydrometer drop a bit today. its still plenty sweet so hopefully plenty of fermenting still to be done.

thanks for all the help

Back