Oops! Sanitizer in the brew :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmakeyoucrazy

Reaction score
I'm really hoping I didn't mess up my first batch. I think I'm ok but would like a 2nd opinion.

Did a Midwest Liberty Cream Ale extract kit today. Everything went well (other than I need to get a propane burner, the electric stove just takes forever to boil 4 gallons). I decided I'd be slick and went ahead and filled my airlock with sanitizer water when I mixed up some to clean the fermenter / spoons etc. I poured the wort in the fermenter, topped off to 5 gallons and fixed the lid in place. Then I installed the airlock which already had sanitizer / water in it.....

Well, if you don't know what happened next here goes. When you push the airlock into the gromet on the bucket, you are going to end up creating a vacuum due to compressing the lid and forcing air out of the fermenter....it sucked the sanitizer / water out of my airlock and into the fermenter! I'm guessing that such a small amount isn't a big deal but I'd like some reassurance.

If the sanitizer was iodophor or star san it is zero deal at all.

If it was chlorine or a one step type thing, its probably not a very big deal but if you insist on using those as sanitizers consider vodka for filling your airlock in the future.

It happens all the time. You'll be fine. In fact if your were using a wet contact/ no-rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan your beer always comes into contact with a small amount of sanitizer. In fact starsan becomes yeast food.

It happens all the time. You'll be fine. In fact if your were using a wet contact/ no-rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan your beer always comes into contact with a small amount of sanitizer. In fact starsan becomes yeast food.

Revvy is on it...as always.

A trick that helps a little bit is to dip your finger in the sanitized solution and then rub it on the "post" of the airlock. It acts like a temporary lube and helps it slide in easier (Insert "that's what she said" joke here).

Edit: Also, since it's extract, you only need to do the boil with 2 or 2.5 gallons of water. This would probably be better to do with the electric stove until you get a propane burner. I have to deal with the same situation.

I'd say totally ruined. Luckily, I can help with proper disposal. Feel free to send the batch my way.

Seriously - can't believe it took 5 responses for this answer to show up! What's this board coming to?!

you be fine. heating up 3G of wort on a electic stove is a major pain in "brew bucket" i done that for first 2 brews.
if you are planning go AG use this for a temperary brew rig, http://bayouclassicdepot.com/triple_propane_burner.htm
iam using a almoust same one just a two burners, if i saw that one before i would of boght it!

Not planning to go AG for a while if ever....I want to nail my extract technique first...although I'd love to brew a Belgian Dubbel....patience young grasshopper ;)

Back