How much sugar to carbonate 6 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgardenlove

Reaction score
The kit I brewed comes with enough corn sugar to carbonate 5 gal. My brew is 6 gal. How much extra table sugar should I add to carbonate the extra gallon? Beer style is amber ale.

Thanks!

Edit:
Also on bottling, should I just dunk each bottle + cap in a starsan solution and then fill? I don't need to let the starsan dry or anything even though it's no-rinse?

Also, how should I fill my bottling bucket? My fermented has a spout but I feel like it's close enough to the yeast cake it might suck some yeast through or something. The outlet appears to be not more than a centimeter from the yeast cake.
Thanks again!

If you have the weight of the provided sugar, either posted on the package or you may have to weigh it! Divide that number by 5 then add that amount to the existing sugar!

For example, if you have 4oz of sugar now, 4/5= 0.8 then add 0.8 to the 4oz and you get 4.8oz for a six gallon batch!

Your 5 oz should be sufficient (make sure to weigh it if you can). For 6 gallons where the highest temp post ferm was about 68 degrees that 5 oz would give you about 2.4 volumes of CO2 which is in the middle range of an Amber Ale.

My Brew Chart/Workbook below in my signature has a calculator you can play with for bottle priming along with a how to (plus a whole lot more). It's free to download if you'd like.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

cp

.83 oz of corn sugar translates to about .76 oz of cane sugar.

If you decide to add more than the 5 oz of corn sugar just be careful not to add too much where it puts you outside of the style's recommended CO2 range. I'd personally just stick with the 5 oz of corn sugar as it puts you exactly where you should be.

Good luck.

cp

With the small amount you'd be adding the difference between corn and table sugar should be negligible.

StarSan is a contact sanitizer so you could just spray the bottle caps then cap your bottles. To quote Revvy "don't fear the foam"!

If you have an autosiphon use it with a length of tubing, if not, you should have a racking cane and tubing! Get a siphon going with some water in the tubing and clamp it off (fill the tubing, not the cane, with water) put the sanitized cane in the beer (not all the way in) unclamp and let the water out into another container until your beer starts to flow. Clamp the tubing then switch the tubing to your bottling bucket. Drain into bottling bucket being careful not to get too much sediment into the beer. You may want to practice this once or twice first with plain water!

A little bit of yeast cake is not a problem when racking, let the beer settle for 10-20 minutes before you bottle and you should get very little sediment into your bottled beer!

So are you saying I should siphon instead of using the tap on the fermented? Sorry, little bit unclear still.
Also, it sounds like trace starsan in the bottles is ok?
Thanks!

I made a bottling bucket from a short wide ale pale with an Italian spigot that has a small diameter spout. It'll fit a length of 3/8" plastic tubing that fits my Fermtech bottling wand.
I rack the beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket with another length of tubing that fits the spout on that particular fermenter (I have 3). Just make the tubing long enough to go from the fermenter on whatever you keep your fermenter on to the bottom of the bottling bucket on the floor.
Also leave enough length so the tube curls around flat on the bottom. Get 2C of water steamy hot,& add the right amount of priming sugar,stiring till it clears again. Cool it off,rack beer to bottling bucket. when a couple of inches of beer are in the bottling bucket,slowly pour the priming solution in near the surface of the swirling beer. Finish racking. Move fermenter out of the way for now,replace with bottling bucket. Place tubing with bottling wand over the end of the spigot's spout. Take a sanitized bottle & place the wand inside it,pushing the little pin valve on the end of the wand down against the bottle bottom lightly.
As soon as the bottle gets clear full,lift up on the wand an inch or two,it'll stop flowing. Place a sanitized cap on it,& & do the next bottle.

The rule of thumb is approximately between .75 and 1 oz by weight per gallon of beer. A typical kit usually comes with between 4.5 and 5 ounces of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch.

.83 oz of corn sugar translates to about .76 oz of cane sugar.

If you decide to add more than the 5 oz of corn sugar just be careful not to add too much where it puts you outside of the style's recommended CO2 range. I'd personally just stick with the 5 oz of corn sugar as it puts you exactly where you should be.

Good luck.

cp

Sounds great . How do I open it ? Used open office , microsoft office visio 2007 .

Back