Do analog fridge temp controllers work like promised?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get an old fridge strictly to control temps for fermenting my 5 gallon batches and I came across this

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet/the-238/Analog-Temperature-Controller/Detail

I am not a technical guy and know very little about this kind of stuff, but according to the description it's supposed to be as easy as plugging the frdige into the controller, then controller into the wall, put the probe in the fridge and set your temp.. My question is, is this really that easy? Can this unit actually make the fridge run warmer (say 65 degrees F) than what it was designed to do? How do they work?

Thanks guys.. I know this is a dumb question, but I have no idea how these things works.. I just know I want one!

Yes, it is that easy. I have 2 Johnson controllers hooked up to freezers. One is a keggerator and the other is a fermentation chamber. You just turn the fridge to it's coldest setting and use the controller to set the temp.

Not sure about that particular one but I use this one and haven't had any problems yet.
https://morebeer.com/view_product/16663

Same here; my dial temp is about 5 degrees off (I know I can calibrate it) but once dialed in it maintains the fridge temp within a couple of degrees.

Yes, you can use it for 65 degrees provided of course your room temperature is always higher.

Got it.. So it can't necessarily "warm" the fridge up to 65-70, but it can "cool" down to that temp if the room temp is higher.. Definitely going to check into one of these

Another vendor was selling that same unit and people reported problems. I'd do some checking before buying that one.

This one or its lower priced analog might be a better choice.

Back