Late sugar additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian strong the other day and decided to incrementally add sugar throughout fermentation. The problem is that I added sugar the first day of fermentation then got called into work for 4 days. I'm almost positive I'm ok to do this but can I just go ahead and add the remainder of the sugar after the majority of the fermentation has completed?

Second question is if it is ok to do this should I feed it in increments or just dump the remainder of the sugar? I figure it's basically done eating the complex sugars and shouldn't have a problem fermenting these simple sugars.

Details on the brew:

brewed on September 23
planned on adding .75 lbs of sugar every 24 hours starting on the 25th for 3 days until a total of 2.25 lbs of sugar was added. sugar additions make up for 11 percent of the grain bill

Measured OG prior to sugar additions: 1.085

sugar additions will make up 11 percent of the grain bill

The yeast I used is wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Thanks for your advice:mug:

Cam

You can just go ahead and dump the rest in. Incremental additions are a good idea if you're trying to boost the alcohol over 12-15%, but it doesn't look like that's the case here.

I would think that incremental adding a smaller portion of the sugars would be beneficial. Here's why:

Adding a large amount of sugar at once to a actively fermenting brew will cause a majority of the sugar to drop to the bottom of your fermenter. This dense sugar sludge at the bottom is too highly concentrated for yeast to ferment.

If you have already dumped the sugar in, I would swirl the fermenter for a few days to swirl up the sugars.

Just my thoughts,
-ZB

haven't dumped yet. I probably will do it in increments just because the yeast is already starting to floculate. This strain gets the job done quick!

bumping a "hopefully not too" oldie here, but I brewed a Belgian Strong Ale just over 5 weeks ago and wanted to do one or two feedings along the way. Something always seemed to get in the way, and I was wondering if it is too late to feed it a bit of candi sugar, or if I should just go ahead and bottle it up. It's for an event 3 to 4 weeks from now... I know it's not enough time to truly condition, but should at least be carbed up and drinkable by then :)
thoughts anyone?

Well, it's a belgian yeast and SG was only around 1.07, so it should be fine... I guess I am wondering if it is still possible to rouse up the yeast to ferment another 1/4 to 1/2 lb of candi sugar within the next week or two. It's a 5 gallon batch that's been in the primary for 5.5 weeks so far.

Back