First brew - fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdaddy

Reaction score
I'm worried that fermentation on my first batch didn't go well? I'm brewing an IPA extract kit with grains from my local brew, http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=67&idproduct=2112 . It's been a week in the primary and a week in the secondary. There is no head or krausen in the secondary. The OG was 1.052 and the current gravity is 1.018 and has been that way for days. I only saw bubbles in the airlock on the second day for 8-12 hours and that only happened after shaking the primary. The kit called for an OG of 1.061 and a final gravity between 1.013-1.016. Should I let it go in the secondary for another week and transfer to bottels or re-pitch yeast. BTW, I used dry Nottingham yeast and pitched a little cool at 60 degrees. Perhaps I shocked the yeast or is it possible that the current gravity dropped due to materials dropping out of the brew vs. actual fermentation by the yeast?

I even more worried because I just brewed a Cooper's select pilsner and it has bubbled in the airlock every few seconds for 4 straight days. Comparitively my first batch doesn't look good.

You shouldn't see krausen or foam in the secondary. A secondary is nothing more than a clearing tank, and very little, if any fermentation occurs there.

I'd let it set in the secondary just for clearing. You might not see your gravity readings go any lower which should be OK. Some of the more seasoned brewers would recommend not bottling at anything over 1.020, so you should be safe on that end.

There is probably no advantage to re-pitching. The yeast will only work if there are more sugars to convert, and if your readings have been the same for 4 days, your fermentation is likely done.

take your sample.....Shake it up let it sit out a while....Chill it to 60 then take the reading.......

Thanks. The current gravity is closer to 1.016 at 60 degrees. I thought I was being paranoid, but relative to the cooper's brew I was concerned. First time paranoia I guess. The cooper's continues to ferment like gangbusters...it's nuts.

Back