Long can you store a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crammer

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter last night thinking I was going to brew this weekend; I just remembered that I don't have any ingredients to brew. D'oh! :drunk: Anyhow, the starter is currently in a two litter soda bottle, if I screw a cap onto the top and place it in the fridge, how long do you think it will last?

Thanks.

It's just like a primary. It won't ruin it to be in there a week. Probably could go 3 or 4 weeks. The yeast goes dormant when it finishes and will lie in wait for it's next tasty meal.

Week or two is fine. Most commercial breweries try to pitch yeast within 2 weeks of harvest or propagation (breweries that brew every day will do much better than 2 weeks).

Just make sure the starter is completely fermented out and put it in a colder part of the fridge (not the door).

Basically treat it like yeast you buy from the store. Fresher is better, use it in weeks not months.

How about a smack pack? If you broke the inner pocket and then realized...I have nothing to make a starter with?!? Can you put it in the fridge for a week or two?

OK.. so life has gotten in the way of brewing.. I KNOW!! how dare me?? lol.. Anyway.. I started a WLP 001 Starter about 3 weeks ago.. It sat on the stir plate for about 2 weeks before I finally put it in the fridge. Where it has been for about a week. I want to brew tonight, and am wondering if this starter should still be good to pitch? I would think it should, but want a second opinion quickly. Anyone? :)

I would think so.. I stepped it up twice to a 1L starter from the original tube.. spent about 3 days as a 600 ml starter then added more wart to step up to a 1L where it sat being put off from things just getting in the way.

Latest posts

Back