Carbing with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have been using corn sugar, but have been having problems with head retention and getting it carbonated enough. I read somewhere that DME does a better job, but requires longer aging time. How long are we talking about here? I am doing an Abby and from what I've seen when poured they are half head half beer, so I want something different.

Never tried it but I know there are some priming calculators out there. I doubt the corn sugar is contributing to poor head retention. Check your recipes. Make sure there are some grains in there like carapils, wheat, flaked *...

I have a tripel made with 3lbs of simple sugar that keeps 1/4" head to the bottom of the glass.

Never tried it but I know there are some priming calculators out there. I doubt the corn sugar is contributing to poor head retention. Check your recipes. Make sure there are some grains in there like carapils, wheat, flaked *...

I have a tripel made with 3lbs of simple sugar that keeps 1/4" head to the bottom of the glass.

These so far have been extract kits and as far as I can remember these didn't have these in them, except my Hefeweizen which had wheat LME but it didn't really have a whole lot of head retention. I can't say for sure what was in these kits now, as I had my log on my old computer which failed. I really want to get this one right; it is supposed to be heavenly.

+1 I have two batches to bottle this next week, and I discovered I was out of corn sugar. I have some DME in the freezer, but I went to a LHBS and got some priming sugar anyway....
My problem is that I used to buy kits, which would have the handy 5 oz. bag of priming sugar included. Now that I've gone AG and am putting my own recipe orders together, I tend to forget to order the corn sugar. :eek:

Latest posts

Back