Small batch Sweet Stout (help needed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbel

Reaction score
So I need some help. I did my first AG batch as a BIAB 1gallon batch. It was a Sweet Stout. I was about to bottle it (skipped a secondary) and upon checking my gravity I'm still at 1.028 @ 67F I'm no expert but that seems high even with lactose in it. My O.G was 1.059 @ 70F. So do just agitate it and see if it restarts or should a pitch some yeast on top? Any thoughts and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

I just made a sweet stout myself, went from 1.050 only down to 1.018. With your SG starting where it was, it may be done, but if your not going to do a secondary I would give it a shake. I have also heard from my HBC that addind a touch of Alpha amylase can shoot the gravity down.

So I need some help. I did my first AG batch as a BIAB 1gallon batch. It was a Sweet Stout. I was about to bottle it (skipped a secondary) and upon checking my gravity I'm still at 1.028 @ 67F I'm no expert but that seems high even with lactose in it. My O.G was 1.059 @ 70F. So do just agitate it and see if it restarts or should a pitch some yeast on top? Any thoughts and/or help will be greatly appreciated.

How long was it in the primary? Did you take more than one FG reading?

How long was it in the primary? Did you take more than one FG reading?

Well to be honest I thought it had been longer than it has. After looking back, today would be Day 20 in the primary. I still think it should be done but I'll agitate and let it go another week or two. I haven't taken any other readings, with only about 1 1/8 gal in the bucket I don't want to waste any. As it is I'm a little leery about taking gravity readings.

Well to be honest I thought it had been longer than it has. After looking back, today would be Day 20 in the primary. I still think it should be done but I'll agitate and let it go another week or two. I haven't taken any other readings, with only about 1 1/8 gal in the bucket I don't want to waste any. As it is I'm a little leery about taking gravity readings.

I know what you mean as I do 1.75 gallon batches. If you soak all your testing equipment in Star San you should be able to pour it back in the fermenter. But 20 days should be pretty close to finish.

Well I just bottled this stout. I was bottling a 5gal batch of American Rye Ale also and got so involved in the process that I forgot to take a gravity reading on the stout before I added the priming sugar. I took a reading on what was left in my bottling bucket and it read 1.020 so obviously warming it and swirling it got it started again. Now to wait for the taste of the first bottle. I wonder is there a way to account for your priming sugar and adjust to find my final gravity?

Well I just bottled this stout. I was bottling a 5gal batch of American Rye Ale also and got so involved in the process that I forgot to take a gravity reading on the stout before I added the priming sugar. I took a reading on what was left in my bottling bucket and it read 1.020 so obviously warming it and swirling it got it started again. Now to wait for the taste of the first bottle. I wonder is there a way to account for your priming sugar and adjust to find my final gravity?

I don't know, but I've fallen in love w/your icon lady. :) :cross:

Back