Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is the first time I have added dry hops. I racked the primary onto the dry hops in the secondary, and all of the hops rose into the neck of the carboy. Do they sit on top the whole time, or should they sink and be mixed into the beer?

I tried to stir them in a little bit, and that worked for a while. They all came out of suspension and rose to the top again.

Normal or not?

Thanks
Beehive

I did the exact same thing, it must be normal. I swished my carboy around every few days 2 see what was going on!

mrkristofo said:
That's normal. Some of them will hydrate and sink, some will still float. The flavor will still seep out either way.

7 days is my normal dry hop but sometimes 2 weeks. Mmmmmmm Good.

Very normal. Most of your Hops will sit on the top of your Beer while in the secondary. But be forewarned, when you rack into the Bottling bucket of a Keg, pay special attention to the Trub end of your Racking cane as it has a good chance of getting clogged with Hops(happened to me not 3 weeks ago while racking into my bottling bucket with my APA). One of the reasons for dry hopping with a Muslim bag.

Back