Okay, so who else has sprouts on their Rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I checked out my rhizomes this morning. Worried because they sat through that nasty deep freeze, but they were newly planted, so I don't think the frost affected them. I peered in closely, and it looks like the Sterling and the two Cascades have little sprouts. Actually, the Sterling has leaves too. Damn, I love spring...:D

So, anyone else out there have any visible activity on theirs?

I bought four types from Northern Brewer this year. My Cascade, Nugget and Fuggles have sprouts. Cascade is doing much better with some leaves already. Got a Willamette I think is dead. No signs of sprouts on that one.
Of course it's nice and warm in Central Fla. Low 80's right now with 10-15 mph breezes. Not looking forward to summer. It's seems to get hotter every year. When I get old, I'm gonna retire and move up north where the seasons change. :D

the_bird said:
Just got mine in the ground yesterday, so I'm guessing "no" :D

Good assumption. I guess the post is more directed at those who don't live in nor'easter country. :p I'd bet you guys still have snow on the ground up there, no?:D

Evan! said:
Good assumption. I guess the post is more directed at those who don't live in nor'easter country. :p I'd bet you guys still have snow on the ground up there, no?:D

There was a TINY bit of a snowback remaining next to the retaining wall where I was working yesterday. I went to throw a snowball at SWMBO, but alas, she had gone inside....

Planting my new Magnums tonight when I get home. But my 'veterans' are already coming up, despite the cold temps we had two weeks ago. The Nugget and Willamette are about a foot high already. The Cascades will soon catch up to and surpass them as the sun gets higher in the sky!

My Nugget hops are about 4' high. The newly planted varieties, Glacier & Centennial, are about 8" high.

You Betcha!
hops017.jpg

hops018.jpg

hops019.jpg

This is this years growth on the ones I planted last year. They are, in order; Hallertau, Willamette and Cascade. There is also a "Nugget" doing equally as well,but I didn't take a photo.

This is the 2nd year for my hops and they are looking great. I must have about 10-12 shoots on each of the 4 plants I planted last year . . . I'm goning to have more hops then i know what to do with

my galena have about an 8" sprout with a 1" sprout with leaves coming close behind it. and also my nugget has sprouted about 1" too! nothing yet from my cascade, willamette, and hallertau. but the cascade has small white sprouts already 1/4" long under the soil. (i peeked). boy am i excited!

I put mine in the ground last weekend. Nothing to report yet

Sprouts on Rhizomes.

Add that to the Homebrewing terms that sound dirty but aren't.

No new rhizomes this year, but I was thinking the Sunbeam didn't make it. However, it now has a single one inch shoot.

I've already trimmed the Fuggles, twice.

Ran past some of the local hop fields Sat. Most of them have started sprouting.

I just planted my 2 centennial and 2 mt. hood on Saturday. Nothing has come up yet. I waited too long to plant them so I'm not feeling too good about these plants...

the_bird said:
Just got mine in the ground yesterday, so I'm guessing "no" :D
Same here, actually Saturday so i guess two days ago.
That "freeze" you got in VA was 2 ft of snow here in NE Ohio. It took two weeks for the ground to dry back out to the point I could dig again.
I real hopeful for my hops. I planted them in a flower bed at my parents. A good southern exposure in front of a wooden barn providing a great location to attach a climbing string. The soil was also surprisingly good considering the amount of heavy clay soils on my parents farm.
Craig

Mine are going into the ground today, I hope. The weekend of 75+ temps has convinced me that there's no more frost in the future.

One small problem...I ordered 2 rhizomes each of Northern Brewer, Cascade and Willamette. My supplier sent one bag labelled "Cascade", and two labelled "Willamette" (each bag cntains two rhizomes). The labels are just Sharpie scribbled on a baggy, so it's possible that it's just a mislabel. Or, I could have 4 Willamettes and no Northern Brewers. Either way, I can't tell what I have.

Any idea how I can tell? Will it be obvious once they start to grow?

Bike N Brew said:
Mine are going into the ground today, I hope. The weekend of 75+ temps has convinced me that there's no more frost in the future.

One small problem...I ordered 2 rhizomes each of Northern Brewer, Cascade and Willamette. My supplier sent one bag labelled "Cascade", and two labelled "Willamette" (each bag cntains two rhizomes). The labels are just Sharpie scribbled on a baggy, so it's possible that it's just a mislabel. Or, I could have 4 Willamettes and no Northern Brewers. Either way, I can't tell what I have.

Any idea how I can tell? Will it be obvious once they start to grow?

I'd call the place and have them resend EVERYTHING....the whole order.

Their will be no way to tell what they are--and you don't want to plant those and have 2 varieties too close to each other.

Maybe plant the 3 varieties far enough away and hopefuly the one bag was just mislabled.

Dude said:
I'd call the place and have them resend EVERYTHING....the whole order.
That's my plan, or at least to ask for the Willamette and the NB (give them the benefit that they got the Cascade right). Their first response when I told them about the problem was to give me some info on how I might be able to tell them apart (cone shape, leaf color and apparently their Willamette rhizomes were "noticeably thicker"), but I'll still ask for a re-send.

Dude said:
Maybe plant the 3 varieties far enough away and hopefuly the one bag was just mislabled.

This is plan B. I'm sure I'll F it up, though, and come fall I can send everyone here on the board a sample of my Northern-Brewer-dry-hopped IPA ;)

i planted my nugget hop rhizomes in pots about 2 weeks ago and they popped up 2 days ago i planted 3 and i'm getting about 3 to 5 shoots on each.i'm gonna wait till they get a little root bound before i put them outside maybe in another 2 weeks i want to make sure we don't have anymore freaky weather here in ohio..right now i have them in quart pots in my window sill which so happens to be on the east side of the house..i also keep foil over my windows to keep the sun out due to the fact i work nights..they get plenty of light.i wish i would have bought some cascades also but everywhere i looked they were sold out..anyone out there who has any i'm willing to buy..or something similar...thanks .

I planted my hops Friday evening. 1 Fuggles, 1 Mt. Hood 1 Galena. They are starting to sprout. My old plants of unknown variety are up about 6 inches...the ones that I failed to get all of the rhizomes dug up.

Planted mine today

2 Cascade, 2 Nugget, Goldings & Magnum. I'm hopeful as hops were a significant crop here in central Vermont in the 19th century. It still grows "wild" in some places.

The snow just melted off my hop bed this week past and we had a dusting of the dirt again today. I'll have to check my beds to see if anything is comming up, but I doubt it yet.

Mine is already 10 foot tall, I let it run wild for too long and now I arms full of cuts from wrestling it back.

Those who have tackled hops in short sleeves will understand the pain.

Orfy, how high is the English version of 10 ft tall in American units? :p

I have Nuggets and Cascade that are about 2' high, some Mt. Hood that are almost a foot, and Fuggles that I think are stillborn.

Since this picture was taken a few days ago my Cascade as reached the top and is starting to go horizontal.
1332-CascadeandMe.jpg

My sterlings are 6 inches tall and goldings are 2 inches. Last year the goldings didn't show up untill 3 weeks after the sterlings.

Well, I got back from Brooklyn to see that, after the rain and the 2 days of beautiful sun, everything in my garden, including the hops, have gone crazy. 3 of the 5 rhizomes (all new plantings) are about 12" high now, and should reach the first cable on the trellis within a day or two. The other two (cascades) are about 6" high---they got a late start for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back