White Labs Vial - Little Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put together a starter this evening using White Labs WLP 001. I slowly cracked the seal on the vial and after a very small fizz the pressure was totally released. This is contrary behavior to other WL vials I have opened. I really didn't examine the vial seal to ensure it was intact prior to twisting it open. Should I be concerned?

Completely normal. Just the CO2 that was built up from the yeast during transport.

EDIT: Oh, you were commenting on how little pressure was released, maybe you got a well treated vial. I also find that they have less pressure when they are cold, so I like to "relieve" the pressure as it warms when I take it out of the fridge.

No, that's fine. That's how it should be. The only time I've had it spray out on me is when I followed the directions to "shake well". I did that, and opened it and had an amazing yeast fountain/shower. I now shake it up to mix, then ever so gently open and get a small "pssftt". Then, I open it the rest of the way. There's no reason for it to be under pressure, so it sounds like it went just fine for you.

Thanks for the reassurance. I too have experienced a yeast shower so I was expecting more gas release when I opened the vial. Most of my experience has been with dry yeast.

Thanks for the reassurance. I too have experienced a yeast shower so I was expecting more gas release when I opened the vial. Most of my experience has been with dry yeast.

:D He said yeast shower.. That doesn't even sound good.. :tank: I agree above mine did the same after opening slowly...

Back