Steam Juicer and apple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajoha2003

Reaction score
Got a steam juicer for the holidays. I was thinking to juice apples with it. And use that to creates some apple cider. Would it work? If so do I need to add something to kill the wild yeast or they are going to be already killed in the steam?

As well planning to use the steam juicer for grapes any issues with the wine using this method to get the juice?

Thanks You For help.

We use our steam juicer on elderberries, blackberries and raspberries, and any other berries. Not sure if it is the best choice for apples. Why would you use it for grapes, unless you have like a lot of concords to juice? WVMJ

I remember that back in the day my grandmother used it a juice steam for wine production of home grown grapes. I was thinking because it actually juices the fruits without any pilling pressing etc the juice would be more cleaner and would require less racking and filtration than pressing the fruits. Giving a cleaner product at the end.

The question is, are wild yeast killed in the process of juicing because of steam or I have to still put some chemical in it.

have you searched the forum, i remember this topic coming up before and some people have tried it. the wild yeast are def dead from the steam, but even without that you can ferment cider just fine without killing off all the wild yeast, that's just not a concern. i have had steam juiced apple juice and it tasted very thick, and very cooked. not unpleasant, but different from fresh juice, sweet, tasty, applesaucey. i have no idea if this would make good cider. might never clear from the all the cooked pectin but so what, i say give it a go? why not? i would think the usual concerns of coder making will come up- those often ignored on this forum! ie, do you have a good sharp and bitter flavors in the juice? select a good apple blend (in january?) and give it a try

Got a steam juicer for the holidays. I was thinking to juice apples with it. And use that to creates some apple cider. Would it work? If so do I need to add something to kill the wild yeast or they are going to be already killed in the steam?

As well planning to use the steam juicer for grapes any issues with the wine using this method to get the juice?

Thanks You For help.

You can use a steam juicer for apples, but be prepared for a ferment that may not clear regardless of use of enzymes and fining agents. I also agree that steam juiced apple juice has a cooked quality to it. Not so noticeable with other fruits. I personally avoid most light colored fruits when steam juicing. I cannot explain it but I prefer regular juicing or extraction/pressing vs steam juicing with the light fruits.
I have not steam juiced grapes except to actually 'can' the grape juice for unfermented consumption, but I know people who do the same and essentially hot pack their juice and store in five gallon containers.

I am going to try juicing one gallon batches and see what happens. Thanks for help.

Back