What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always want to wash yeast but I never seem to be able to find the time... but... I finally washed some sa05. I made a 6.0% IPA with this yeast's first beer. I'm thinking it was a good warm-up for a big brother version of the same IPA. I love saving money on batches by yeast washing!

That's awesome! I finally got to do that for the first time on my last batch!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1462903775.588281.jpg

Now, today I went to radio shack and got the goodies to build my own stir plate. Already ordered the stir bar and have a computer lined up to tear into for the fan and magnet. I can't wait!

I made some seed tape. Prepping to plant my barley by this weekend. I started with a pound of Conlon 2-row last year. Planted it really badly - terrible spacing, it didn't all actually end up under the dirt, lots got eaten up by birds. Still ended up with about 2.5 pounds of seed to try replanting this year. That is a pretty terrible yield, but I should be in much better shape this time around. Learned a lot from last year's experience and here's the seed tape I have ready to plant:

13138836_10209674389523266_5815142240632684799_n.jpg

13174069_10209674389643269_837520086618635879_n.jpg

And here is all the seed I have left:

13177308_10209674389763272_704622888405515179_n.jpg

Not sure if I should prep that as seed tape to plant it late this fall, so it'll come up on it's own next spring. My other option is milling it and throwing it in an upcoming brew as unmalted barley.

Breathed primer fumes... see I need to sand out a couple more spots that might be rust after I hit it with primer... will get another coat of primer before the appliance white goes on then I can mount the bits and pieces for the burner supports.

IMG_20160510_1934452251_zpsjlc8gzay.jpg

Inside I am thinking of some cheap vinyl shelf stuff to make wiping it out easy.

IMG_20160510_1934219471_zpsywteg8f7.jpg

Some nice storage for tubing etc! It is 2'x3'x20" tall. I will add some door gasket for dust prevention since this is in my garage/wood shop! Once built I am making a dust cover also that hangs to the floor.

Ridiculously, with nearly 20 gallons of beer in the keezer and another 10 or so in the pipeline, I...went schlepping to the local grocery to PURCHASE!!!! a 12 pack of canned beer (non filtered home brews don't go boating in a cooler very well).

Proceeded to be unable to keep my mouth shut and refrain from uddering how stupid it was, when the 64 year old cashier, carded me the 50+ year old customer. Since the beer was with the rest of the groceries, she really caught me off guard asking for my DL. Then proceeded to lecture me about how important the law is because she had raised teenagers and also had a friend killed by a drunk driver.

When I asked how a post middle aged woman carding an adult man (didn't even broach the subject of also able to brew), who hasn't looked like an underage buyer in 20 years, would have prevented either, I got the predictable dumb look.

That is what I did for beer today. The things we endure.

Ordered a smallish RO water system so I don't feel the need to cut my home water with store-bought.

I grabbed a case of Fat Tire to take fishing and the air head new college girl tried to card me. Store owner came over and asked her what she was doing. Now I have a LOT of gray in my hair, the wrinkles are starting around the eyes,and am mid 50's.... he told her quit wasting time we have customers backed up. Card the YOUNG people...

Then I talked home brew with the owner for an hour. He brews on and off too and I put the bug in his ear to maybe do special orders of grain for people and have it shipped out with his booze from the Twin Cities. Told him I would pay 10% over NB prices to not have to spend a day driving up and back.

Ridiculously, with nearly 20 gallons of beer in the keezer and another 10 or so in the pipeline, I...went schlepping to the local grocery to PURCHASE!!!! a 12 pack of canned beer (non filtered home brews don't go boating in a cooler very well).

Proceeded to be unable to keep my mouth shut and refrain from uddering how stupid it was, when the 64 year old cashier, carded me the 50+ year old customer. Since the beer was with the rest of the groceries, she really caught me off guard asking for my DL. Then proceeded to lecture me about how important the law is because she had raised teenagers and also had a friend killed by a drunk driver.

When I asked how a post middle aged woman carding an adult man (didn't even broach the subject of also able to brew), who hasn't looked like an underage buyer in 20 years, would have prevented either, I got the predictable dumb look.

That is what I did for beer today. The things we endure.

Bottled Innkeeper Ale last night. Cut steel, bolted it on and breathed more paint fumes today. One more coat of paint, cut and paint the 2 shelves... low left is boil burner, center to the left will be the mash burner, upper right hanging over the center will be the HLT burner for sparge water heating.

IMG_20160512_1756247831_zps6axqsjqb.jpg

Reminded my wife, as she used my keezer as a place to stack her stuff; don't bump one of those tap handles... especially with the plug in there or your gonna have an awful mess to clean up.

Attended the Brattleboro Brew Fest. Element Brewing got my vote in the people's choice for a sake ipa and a black ale. The Whetstone brewing trippel made with fruity pebbles was the best beer I had.

Brewed a Spruce Beer.
9lbs 2 row
1lb Carafoam
1lb Crystal 40L
1oz Northern Brewer for bittering and 1 oz Cascade hops aroma.
6 oz of freshly picked Alberta Spruce and Engelmann spruce tips.
Pitched US-05.

Now we wait......

I rebuilt my biermuncher bottle filler and successfully bottled a six pack of stout.

Pregamed for tomorrow's brew day, collected water, added salts, crushed grain. Checked the new plumbing for leaks.

Brewed. Discovered that the HLT element is leaking again. Decided that from now on I'll either be using the RIMS tube as an on demand heater, or switch to cold water sparging.

Then after pulling the RTD from the HLT I decided to run ice water through the chiller using the HLT, filled the HLT with the hose and greeted with a jet of water from the now empty RTD port.

So a mixed day. Far too much clean up but some delicious pale ale in the fermenter, now just chilling down to pitching temp and it'll get some harvested Hansen blend later tonight

Brewed NB Phat Tyre again(extract kit) since I had an open slot in the fermenting fridge. And did a little more work on the brew stand..

IMG_20160515_1813077971_zpswqpgqxhi.jpg

Just need something to use for the burner shelves(right now that is just scrap steel siding).

Brewed NB Phat Tyre again(extract kit) since I had an open slot in the fermenting fridge. And did a little more work on the brew stand..

IMG_20160515_1813077971_zpswqpgqxhi.jpg

Just need something to use for the burner shelves(right now that is just scrap steel siding).

Love all the one gallon jugs in the background. Very Moonshiners.

Cleaned two cases of bottles. Needed to give these puppies an extended soak in PBW. Major PITA. I am going to put together a decent bottle washing rig I swear. Guess I'll bottle tomorrow. APA for a friends wedding otherwise I'd keg it and fergit it.

Ordered hop plants from Great Lakes Hops. Over the weekend I saw some hop plants in a 2 gallon pot with a bamboo tripod for a trellis for $60. I thought geez that's expensive to myself.

Soaked off labels and washed bottles. Friend dropped of 2 cases of Fat Tire bottles. 4 went straight in the trash, I was not dealing with someones chew spit... rest got a 3 hour soak in hot water and PBW. One of my favorite bottles as far as removing labels. They float off. Also tossed in 6 Lift Bridge(Duluth MN) bottles, I had to use a razor blade to get the labels off those... since I doubt I will buy that beer ever again I won't have to do that again!

Brewed up up 10 gallons of LL heif. Will add the lime in 2 days. Kegged 10 gallons of Blizzard Pale Ale. Felt kinda sad as I only have 3 beers on tap right now.

Going to try my hand at collecting wild mid Missouri yeast and isolate to see what happens. Kind of neat to think about what beer would be like a thousand years ago if the monks were here vs Europe.

More work on the brew stand, built the burner shelves. I know those burners will heat the wood underneath them so I left a gap on purpose to help cool things. Need to bolt the lower one down after I decide if I need to raise it more so I can gravity drain to a bottling bucket. Upper shelf needs to be bolted down and I need 2 L brackets on the uprights for safety.

IMG_20160518_1711264581_zpsefpqncbs.jpg

Going to try my hand at collecting wild mid Missouri yeast and isolate to see what happens. Kind of neat to think about what beer would be like a thousand years ago if the monks were here vs Europe.

I am fascinated with this. If you start a separate thread on this I will totally subscribe. I may even be inspired to do some work like this here in Connecticut.

It would be interesting to isolate locally occurring wild yeasts and compare results of fermenting on a standard wort.

I made a hop tea, 1 oz of Mt Hood 7.1% in 1500mL of water + 2 tsp of light DME, boiled for 21 minutes, netted only about 300 mL of tea, and added to my Honey Nelson Saison bubbling away in my Chronical.

I am fascinated with this. If you start a separate thread on this I will totally subscribe. I may even be inspired to do some work like this here in Connecticut.

It would be interesting to isolate locally occurring wild yeasts and compare results of fermenting on a standard wort.

I sure did bud,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=582554

Mute Dog even popped in on there which is pretty cool cause that's where I learned a bunch about it.

Local wold yeast are awesome because it makes you wonder how beer would have turned out had the monks been here vs Europe.

Okay, thanks. Subbed over there and will now have to catch up on mute dog blog and other references.

I've brewed with local honey and would love to catch some cool local yeast and work with that too.

Today I bottled two and a half cases of an APA I made for a friends wedding. Also kegged five gallons that will stay in- house (Brewers share).

Then I kegged 10 gallons of a Pliney clone. Actually had enough left over to fill 10 bottles.

In between I visited with Mike from Noble Jay to check on the progress of his brewery.

Back