SCORE - 1972 Ford soon to be Freezerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
After all of my searching and almost buying a Sanyo, which would have gotten me in a lot of trouble with the wife, I looked in the local classifeds today and found a steal. I got a 1972 Ford Upright freezer, 16 CU for ......$25. Now I am sure that it will be an energy hog, but what the hell for that much. All of the condenser lines are incorporated into the racks so I had to do some careful bending, but I should be able to fit 4 kegs in when I purchase them. I am well on my way to kegging!!!

Now for that pesky temp controller. The freezer maintains 0 F temp. I live in cooler climate and will be keeping the freezer in a well insulated garage. I don't think the ambient temp will get lower than 30 or so will I need to put any type of heating element or controller in to maintain a good temp for my beer. What is a good temp?

Are you SURE it won't go below 30 or so? How long does it stay at or near 30? To play it safe, you can get a 2-stage Ranco temp controller, hook the cool side up to the freezer, and hook the heat side up to a light bulb, brewbelt, heating pad etc that is in the freezer. If the temp in your garage only gets to near 30 for short tmes, this is just for peace of mind - it probably won't turn on much - but could save you from frozen beer!

What temp do you want to serve at? 36? 40? 45? Up to you.

Plan to do something for moisture control - it sounds like this is not a 'frost-free' freezer, and water will condense on the coils in there, and then drip down to the bottom - put a towl or someting in, as well as a container of damp-rid or something.

Back