Temp controller question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So I have access to a free fridge. The type with the freezer above, not a side-by-side. How easy is it to hook up a temp controller? Is it pretty self explanatory? Cut this and hook this wire to it?? Thinking it would make a great fermentation chamber/future kegerator.

Extremely simple. The fridge plugs into the controller, the controller into the wall. Put the temperature probe somewhere inside the fridge and dial in the temperature you want. That's it.

I'll go ahead and throw this out there too. All of the few batches I have done I've just had at room temperature, say 67-68 degrees. That's air temp. I don't have the stick on thermometer on the fermentation bucket so I can't really say what the temp of the beer was. That being said, I can't complain about any of the beers I've made. They have all been quite good. Not saying great, but I have definately enjoyed them. It sounds like, from what i've read, that if I hold the abiant temp down to say 62-63 that will get the fermentation temp at a more desireable level and improve the final outcome. Should I really expect great things and a noticeable difference by investing in the temp control? I don't think I want to hassle with the bucket of water and ice cube thing. If I'm going to do it I don't want to monitor it all the time. In the summer, my basement is usually around 67. In the winter probably 55 or so. So really there is only a 3 or 4 months where it is really an issue.
Thinking aloud.....Thoughts??? I welcome your opinions.

Yes, you will notice a difference. I ferment everything at 62-64F (beer temp). I pitch yeast at that temp too. I made my chamber a few years back, and it made all the difference in the world. From "okay, I made this," to - commercial quality.

62-64. The "chamber" will drive down the beer temp to the set temp.

This is not entirely true. The fermenting Yeast creates heat and likely your "beer temp" will be a couple degrees warmer than your "chamber ambient temp".

Just get the ebay controller. Its very easy to wire up. Im fermenting my first beer in the new chamber now. I pitched @ 62 fermented @66 then ramped up the temp once the primary was winding down to 68. Having the ability to control the temp so precisely will inevitably help create some great beer.

I guess what I ought to do first is just set the temp warmer by the fridge control and measure what the temperature is. I may not need to change anything but that.

This is not entirely true. The fermenting Yeast creates heat and likely your "beer temp" will be a couple degrees warmer than your "chamber ambient temp".

^^^
Fermenter sitting in air - this is true - temps should be 4 degrees lower (roughly) than desired fermenting temps - at least during the high activity time - first 3-5 days.

For Fermenters sitting in water, the temps are almost identical - water is a better thermal conductor than air and sucks the heat off the fermenter. So holding the water bath at 64F ferments the beer at 64-65F

^^^
Fermenter sitting in air - this is true - temps should be 4 degrees lower (roughly) than desired fermenting temps - at least during the high activity time - first 3-5 days.

For Fermenters sitting in water, the temps are almost identical - water is a better thermal conductor than air and sucks the heat off the fermenter. So holding the water bath at 64F ferments the beer at 64-65F

I've measured the wall of my carboy (beneath insulation) to be as much as 12*F warmer than the ambient temperature of my chest freezer during the most active phase of fermentation. It definitely depends on the activity of the yeast as mediated by OG, yeast strain, yeast health, target temp, etc.

I've measured the wall of my carboy (beneath insulation) to be as much as 12*F warmer than the ambient temperature of my chest freezer during the most active phase of fermentation.

wow !

I've always heard 4F - 8F (but since I use a water bath method, I haven't done any actual research.) I was shooting for the low side - to be a bit more conservative, but it looks like 8F might be the middle of the road to shoot for!!!

thanks for that info!

I should have elaborated. With my chamber I use a cheapo furnace thermostat. I re-soldered the thermistor onto 4 feet of wire, then placed it in a thermowell on my fermentor. I use a computer fan to blow air across a gallon ice jug when my set temp is exceded by my wort temp.

This is the chamber http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

And this is how you re-wire the thermostat

So in my case the chamber temp does drive the wort temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back