Time in primary and cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diegobonatto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have a question about time in primary plus cold crash. My batch stayed in primary for 7 days (F.G. is stable) and I want to initiate a cold crash that will be keep for more 7 days. HOWEVER, is better to keep the beer during 14 days at 70 ° F in primary and then apply cold crash during 7 days (also in primary)? I known that it is a long time for cold crash....
Regards,
Diego

I would leave it in the primary longer. The yeast will clean itself up and the flavor will change.

Yes, I think that beer is finished because the F.G. is stable (F.G. = 1.015) after three consecutive readings (one reading after 48 hours). But, yes, I agree that at least two weeks in primary is the role of thumb....My question is if 7 days of cold crash plus 7 days in primary could count as the same as two weeks only in primary...Or am I wrong?

Yes, I think that beer is finished because the F.G. is stable (F.G. = 1.015) after three consecutive readings (one reading after 48 hours). But, yes, I agree that at least two weeks in primary is the role of thumb....My question is if 7 days of cold crash plus 7 days in primary could count as the same as two weeks only in primary...Or am I wrong?

No..if you cold crash the beer you put the yeast to sleep, if they're asleep then they time of them cleaning up after themselves isn't there. If you wait two weeks then cold crash that is equal to 2 weeks in the fermenter.

In ales if the beer is cold, no conditioning is going on.

To elaborate, i keep my beers in the primary for 4 weeks and only transfer to a secondary if I’m adding a flavor or adjunct. The only time I have cold crashed was for a brew I transferred onto 7lbs of strawberries.

Latest posts

Back