Guinness Stout bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They look cool, but I seem to get less carbonation with Guinness stout bottles than other types of bottles. Has anyone else had this experience?

I used a few guinness bottles when I used to bottle, both the draught and the stout bottles. I never noticed any problem with carbonation, but I did notice that if I was going to have any bottles break while capping, it was the guinness bottles. I think I broke one non-guinness bottle, and after my 4th guinness bottle breaking off at the neck while capping, I got rid of them all.

The stout bottles, not the draught. They're the short stubby looking ones.

if you're using a hand-capper, then it could be that you're not getting a good seal between the cap and the bottle. I have no problems with longnecks, but all the short stubby bottles I've tried tend to not seal right. I ended up throwing them all out.

So I think your problem is the bottle type.

I have to agree, if it's anything, it's probably the shape of the bottle causing you problems getting a good seal. The stubby bottles are a little akward to cap. I've had the same issues with Hoegaarden bottles.

I agree as well. When ever I cap a guiness bottle the cap is always a little crooked and my capper seems to "stick" when I get the cap on. I would suspect a very small leak in the seal. I recently opened one of those bottles at a friends house. I didn't have a bottle opener so I did the ole redneck lighter trick and sheared the entire top off of the bottle. I think its safe to say that I am phasing out my guiness bottles.

I've had trouble with Guinness bottles, with Anchor bottles, with Sierra Nevada bottles.

Now the Chimay bottles, those are great. Much heavier glass. If I could afford the beer, I'd use more of them.

It's because guinness sucks so bad, the bottle keeps sucking even when filled with a decent brew.........;)

I'll take my answer off the air........

That's odd, I wonder if the Boulevard bottles are the same, since they are similar to Anchor and SN. I never noticed poor carbing/capping with any of those though, aside from cracking the top here and there, which now that I think of it, they are typically the stubby bottles.

Depends which boulevard bottles they are cause most of them are now twist off, I think the seasonals and the Pilsner might be the only ones that are pry off.

I've never had trouble re-using Guinness bottles, but trying to use whychwood brewery pint+ bottles yielded unpredicatble results - one out of every 6 would be a poor seal, and ocasionally I couldn't cap them, so I gave up on them. I havent used a Guinness bottle (Draught or Extra Stout) in a long while though, so maybe newer Guinness bottles are thinner (think shipping cost) and poorly made (with regards to hand-capper use)

I've only reused my Guinness Stout bottles once so far but I did notice that they seemed to be a little less carbed than the rest, maybe 80-85% as carbed as the rest of the batch.

when I bottled most of my bottles were the guinness draught bottles. I liked these because Label removal was a snap (no soaking required, just slit the plastic with a razor and label is gone) use needle nose pliers to pop out the dohickey and your good to go. Also Guinness is one of my favorite commercial beers so I drink a lot of it. I don't recall ever having any issues with those bottles.

That being said i went to kegging and i'm never going back! bottling was just way too much of a hassle.

I have been keeping a diligent “eye” issues as seen here in this thread concerning bottles, especially the Guinness Draught bottles with the nitro wizzer in them. I have noted bad glass thickness consistency.

I have sent out a few pm's to folks using these bottles as follows:

I have been cutting the tops off bottles to make glasses. It is in the DIY section here and this is the thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-tumbler-beer-bottles-189996/

Anyways, I have noticed that the bottles you describe are seriously uneven. The glass will hide this fact easily because you normally look at a bottle through both sides at 1 time. I had a few bottles that had VERY thin spots the size of dimes! and these were all on the Guinness Draught bottles you are talking about! Out of all the bottles I have cut, these have been the worst as far as uniform thickness. I even had bottles from different times and cases.

This is just a friendly FYI. I would encourage you to inspect these bottles from the hole in good lighting, just to be sure they look good. A thin spot will look lighter/less brown. The lighter/less brown it is, the thinner it is.

Bottle bombs suck and I just felt I would share. I would rather say something now, than to see a bottle bomb thread and wish I would have. I will not bother you again with this and wish you the best of luck and happy home brewing!

Zamial

I believe this glass issue may also be effecting the recapping...

These bottles IMO are dangerous and poor quality all around..."Ye be warned"... :tank:

I agree as well. When ever I cap a guiness bottle the cap is always a little crooked and my capper seems to "stick" when I get the cap on. I would suspect a very small leak in the seal. I recently opened one of those bottles at a friends house. I didn't have a bottle opener so I did the ole redneck lighter trick and sheared the entire top off of the bottle. I think its safe to say that I am phasing out my guiness bottles.

I have the same issue with my capper "sticking". Every Guinness stout bottle I've used has been flat. I will definitely be throwing these out.

After pulling the entire top off of one and having it smack me in the forehead , guiness bottles are dead to me. I got lucky that the still attached cap hit me instead of where the bottle neck broke and broken glass glass didn't slice up my face. On the flip side though I picked up some vintage soda bottles from the 50's-70's and those some thick, heavy duty bottles. There is an old rc cola bottle in particular that has glass that appears to be about 3/8" thick. Now that's a bottle!

Latest posts

Back