So I left the hops in part 2.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casablanca

Reaction score
So I left the hops in my mash when adding it to the carboy. Now one week into fermentation I have an about 1 half inch layer of white junk at the bottom... Is this normal? Do I have an infection? Also, I have a black fermometer on the side of my carboy... what does this tell me?

yes it is normal the "white junk" is the yeast. Not sure what you mean by "Black fermometer" Is it a thermometer?

I am not sure.... it has a series of numbers in acending order one side labled lagar and the other ale. I think it may be a thermometer designating ranrge for what family of yeast.... but not sure... but it is defiinetly labled fermometer.

casablanca said:
I am not sure.... it has a series of numbers in acending order one side labled lagar and the other ale. I think it may be a thermometer designating ranrge for what family of yeast.... but not sure... but it is defiinetly labled fermometer.

I just goggled it and that is what it is.

The fermometer shows you the temperature of the contents!

I have a lot of hops debris in my fermenters too. Don't worry about it. When you siphon it out, you'll leave it all behind.

casablanca said:
So I left the hops in my mash when adding it to the carboy. Now one week into fermentation I have an about 1 half inch layer of white junk at the bottom... Is this normal? Do I have an infection? Also, I have a black fermometer on the side of my carboy... what does this tell me?

Mash is preboil, Wort is post boil with hops. I don't worry too much about straining out hops, they'll all fall out in primary and clearing. It's normal to have that layer of "white junk" that's all the nasties falling out of the beer, like hop residue, the bigger the better i say. No Infection, the fermometer should be labeled with temperatures, it shows you what temperature the contents are at.

Back