What does everyone pay for ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what the average price for brewing ingredients is so I figured I would take a poll.

At my Lhbs I pay a dollar a pound for base malts, 2 dollars a pound for specialty, 2 bucks an ounce for pellets (or 20 for a pound), and 3 bucks an ounce for whole hops. Wyeast costs me 6 bucks a smack pack.

online ordering works out to roughly about that much. Probably more for the base, less for the specialty, about the same for hops or a little less, and a little more for yeast.

In the end it averages about the same, however buying locally is always nice and you can brew on a whim. I typically order brewmasterswarehouse because they remember my recipes and crush/mix the grians for me and send them nicely sealed bag ready to go.

OH and as long as the local ingredients are fresh, milled properly, and the people are quick and knowledgable I'd go local

Sounds like you're getting good prices. The only way you can drop that down is to buy bulk. Pick up all the hops and grain you need for the whole year in the fall when fresh crops are in and the sales are on. I get my base malt for .80/lb and my specialties for about 1.60/lb. I grow my own hops so not much cost there besides labor, and I grow yeast and freeze it. Costs me about 3.00 pitched for yeast on a 5 gallon batch.

yeah your LHBS seems to be very reasonable. stick with the local guy and only order online for stuff you can't get there. my local stores are quite a bit more expensive then going online so i usually order online

Here in Portland we have a lot of competition and one LHBS that wanted to bring prices down. So they did, GW 2 Row is under $.60 per pound if you buy a bag and they have a program that basically lets you commit to buying a bag but only take home as much as you need per recipe. brew brothers caused the other main LHBS's to compete and lower prices.

Here in Portland we have a lot of competition and one LHBS that wanted to bring prices down. So they did, GW 2 Row is under $.60 per pound if you buy a bag and they have a program that basically lets you commit to buying a bag but only take home as much as you need per recipe. brew brothers caused the other main LHBS's to compete and lower prices.

jealous.

Yea I looked into ordering ingredients online but after shipping It's the same price or more and I have to wait... Not worth it

I pay about $1.00/lb. for Maris Otter in bulk and about $1.50/lb. for specialty grains at my LHBS. The US two row in bulk is considerably cheaper, but I'm a base malt snob.

Back