Using raisin in dark beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Does anybody know what type of sugar is in raisins? Are they fermentable (my guess is not), if so can we mash the raisins along with the malts to make their sugar fermentable and what temperature are they mashed (if the idea is correct)?
What is the typical % of raisins to grain bill for a porter?

Thanks

The same sugars that are in grapes, fructose and glucose for the most part, and yes as most winemakers would tell you they do ferment. However, if you are looking for raisin flavors, IMO you'd be better off adding some Special-B or German CaraAroma malt to the bill.

Raisins definitely ferment. Many country wine recipes say to throw raisins directly into the fermenter. I would say to do that unless you're trying to get an exact reading on OG.

Post your recipe, I'm curious.

Yes, raisins ferment just like any other fruit. No, you don't want to mash them. Some recipes like DFH Raison D'etre add raisins in the boil. It's probably more common to add raisins to the secondary.

All Grain Recipe - Dogfish Head Raison D'etre Clone ::: 1.077/1.019 (5.5 Gal)

Grain Bill
14 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. - Belgian Candi Sugar (add with 10 min. left in boil)
6 oz. - Pureed Golden Rasins (puree in blender with 2cups wort - add with 10min. left in boil)

Hop Schedule - 20 IBU
1 oz. - Warrior - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Vanguard - at Flameout

Randy, thanks for the recipe. I actually did not make a recipe yet, so this should help me out.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back