Dry MAlt Extract for Priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to bottling an African Amber and someone talked me into buying Dry Malt Extract for priming. I used corn sugar for my Hef and aside from not using enough it turned out excellent with no after taste.
Is the extract recommended for this style or should I stick with the corn?
Thanks

I don't believe it will make a particularly significant difference, though you'll certainly need to use different quantities of corn sugar versus DME. The claim is that DME tends to carb up a touch more slowly, but I've never been able to observe any taste differences. It's a mighty small quantity.

Just from differences a description i read was that dme can provide a creamier finish. Corn sugar(dextrose) a crisp dry finish.From experience i dont notice from one to another especially when i have a completly different beer to compare it to so its hard to tell really.Do what you like,you could even splitt the batch when racking as long as you have correct volumes but really may not be worth that.
Dme is said to cause maybe a ring around the neck of the bottle but not from my experience.Corn sugar is said to carb faster but really its up to the yeast and conditions.

Either one is fine. I prefer this calculator for determining priming amounts for DME. It accounts for the variation in fermentability between the different maltsters rather than just averaging them.

I agree with other posters that you probably won't be able to tell much if any difference.

If it is at all possible I would prime half of the batch with DME and half with corn. By comparison you will be able to tell if you want to stick with the corn or DME. I much prefer DME but again it is all up to your own taste.

Back