Fermenation chamber from a mini-fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figgy

Reaction score
I am considering building something like this for a fermentation chamber…

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-6-cu-ft-fridge-10-1-cu-ft-fermentation-chamber-conversion-88554/

The chamber will be in my garage that gets down below 30 deg in winter and above 90 degrees in summer. I would like to be able to brew both ales or lagers anytime of the year. I have heard of putting a light bulb inside the chamber to keep it warm enough to ferment ales in the winter. Is this what is typically used or is there another way to keep temps up in winter?

Can anyone recommend a set of plans/photos to follow for building a fermentation chamber for both ales and lagers?

For heating I use the Fermwrap. A bit spendy, but I cut it into two pieces and wired the cut piece up with a spare power cord to make it essentially a 2 for 1 sale. It works really well, and for my fridge fermenter I stopped wrapping it around the fermenter. Instead I just hang it inside...works really well.

I've also seen folks use a reptile cage heater like this one.

Some folks use a simple electric heating pad available from about any drug store.

If you want to go the DIY route, here is a good write up for building a Fermwrap for cheap.

Back