The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you guys would enjoy these pizza failures. They made me laugh.

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/article.php/20100403-Epic_Pizza_FAIL

20100404-Epic_Pizza_FAIL_4.jpg

hahahahahah how does this even happen?!

20100404-Epic_Pizza_FAIL_2.jpg

cheezydemon3 said:
PIZZANADO!!!!!!

Too funny.

No pics, but the wheat calzone I made turned out great! The wheat was hard to work with, I ended up rolling a thin sheet of dough to re-wrap the whole calzone. Bell peppers were poking holes left and right.

It tasted delicious with a hint of Melana's sourdough in it.

Cool. Sounds yummy

This recipe is my go-to for a thin, yet chewy crust. Cribbed from the virtualweberbullet forum a few years back and it's the only pizza dough recipe I use:

This is for my NY style pies.
Here's my recipe for 2 - 20 oz balls for 2 - 16" pies or 4 10 oz balls for 4 - 12" pies.

Ceresota AP Flour (100%) 24.56 oz
Water (62%) 15.22 oz
IDY (0.33%) 0.76 tsp.
Salt (2%) 2.5 tsp.

With my stand mixer:

Put the water in the bowl and add the salt, strir to dissolve. Add the yeast and the sifted flour and mix with the spiral dough hook on speed 2 just till it comes together, less than 2 min. I then let it sit for 15 min and then add oil (if using it) do a final knead on speed 2 for 4-5 min. I then weigh out the dough balls to 20 oz hand knead in to a smooth ball, oil and place in a gladeware round container and in to the beer fridge (34-36 degrees) it goes for the cold ferment. I get very little rise in the fridge with my dough. Let it cold ferment in the back of the fridge for 5-14 days. If you want to go long on the cold ferment, 8-14 days, cut the IDY yeast back to 1/2 tsp.

Gawd...thinking about my buffalo chicken pizza is making me drool. I'll have the SWMBO make me up some dough and I'll pick up some chicken and RedHot tomorrow. Maybe with blue cheese this time.

This thread makes me so hungry.

Thanks to you guys I'm making pizza. With homemade dough (bread yeast not sourdough) because John said I couldn't post pictures if I didn't make my own dough.

Made a calzone tonight, probably gonna gain 5 pounds after this beast. Cream cheese, 1/2 lb beef and almost a whole 2 cups of mozzarella, so good! :D and it looks like pac man!

2013-11-04 18.08.13.jpg

finsfan said:
Made a calzone tonight, probably gonna gain 5 pounds after this beast. Cream cheese, 1/2 lb beef and almost a whole 2 cups of mozzarella, so good! :D and it looks like pac man!

Oh boy looks yummy.

Here's a simple, cheap yet tasty pizza we have been making lately. Simple pepperoni n cheese. Pepperoni and mozzarella. The big non-secret is the crust, which is actually a flat bread loaf from Dillon's. It's a focaccia (SP?) topped with parmesan, cheddar, and asiago cheeses. They have a another loaf that has just the asiago on it, I prefer that one because it adds a bit of saltiness. Everything is the cheap store brand, even the sauce...no fancy schmancy brand names, just simple flavor that is hard to beat!

pizza-61306.jpg

Here's a simple, cheap yet tasty pizza we have been making lately. Simple pepperoni n cheese. Pepperoni and mozzarella. The big non-secret is the crust, which is actually a flat bread loaf from Dillon's. It's a focaccia (SP?) topped with parmesan, cheddar, and asiago cheeses. They have a another loaf that has just the asiago on it, I prefer that one because it adds a bit of saltiness. Everything is the cheap store brand, even the sauce...no fancy schmancy brand names, just simple flavor that is hard to beat!

I found that when I made a bunch of pizzas for the family, I would make a 7 ingredient one for me, maybe 5 for the wife, and the kids each wanted a single topping cheese pizza.

The grownup pizzas always turned out great, but I would always sneak a piece or 2 of the kids' pepperoni or olive pizza. Sometimes simple is best.

When I worked at a pizza joint after high school you got a small pizza for each shift you worked for your meal break. I'd do cheese, and some mushrooms. Then I'd add some mushrooms and then a little cheese and then some mushrooms. Then I'd top it off with a bunch more mushrooms and another handful of cheese. Best pizzas ever.

Just thought I add to this thread a couple tips Ive picked up from the many pizzas I made and one of my own.

When adding sugar to your dough, replace it with wither LME or DME, the more complex sugar takes longer for the yeast to break down. So you get a double rise out of it, the first rise (around an hour to rise) the yeast break down all the simple sugars, work the dough and let it rise for another 45min and you get a second rise. I picked up the tip from my favorite cooking show "Good Eats" and have found i love the dough.

Also from that same show, I grill my pizza and love the thin crispy outside of the dough with a slight chewy inside, plus its super quick at only around 4 mins of cook time. Also have a grill and not a brick oven stove to get the proper temps.

Also, I highly recommend for all you doing store bought sauce/dough to find a simple recipe and make your own, the results are amazingly delicious and worth the time

And as promised heres a picture of one of my pizzas: This one is a Tequila Fajita Steak with grilled peppers and onions

20130428_184504.jpg

Wife and kids out of town, figured I would make a pie real quick... Little bit of bleu cheese on this was quite good. I may start putting a slight sprinkle on all of my pizzas.
I usually put some bleu cheese on mine too...It's crazy good with a bit of pineapple

Adeering said:
Just thought I add to this thread a couple tips Ive picked up from the many pizzas I made and one of my own. When adding sugar to your dough, replace it with wither LME or DME, the more complex sugar takes longer for the yeast to break down. So you get a double rise out of it, the first rise (around an hour to rise) the yeast break down all the simple sugars, work the dough and let it rise for another 45min and you get a second rise. I picked up the tip from my favorite cooking show "Good Eats" and have found i love the dough. Also from that same show, I grill my pizza and love the thin crispy outside of the dough with a slight chewy inside, plus its super quick at only around 4 mins of cook time. Also have a grill and not a brick oven stove to get the proper temps. Also, I highly recommend for all you doing store bought sauce/dough to find a simple recipe and make your own, the results are amazingly delicious and worth the time And as promised heres a picture of one of my pizzas: This one is a Tequila Fajita Steak with grilled peppers and onions

I wasn't hungry until I saw this.

mccumath said:
Wife and kids out of town, figured I would make a pie real quick... Little bit of bleu cheese on this was quite good. I may start putting a slight sprinkle on all of my pizzas.

image-1151364297.jpg

I went through the first part of this thread, ran out of time, and skipped to the last couple of pages. So I may be repeating a tip someone else has already mentioned:

I haven't made pizza (yet), but I make focaccia regularly. I mix the dough with only half the flour but all the water and yeast, cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator - overnight if possible, but at least until the soupy mixture rises and falls. Then I stir in the rest of the flour, and proceed with kneading, rising, etc. as usual. It gives the focaccia a bit of a sourdough flavor and texture, especially if it sets overnight.

I came up with the method on my own, then found out the rest of the world has been doing it for a long time. Probably since bread was invented...:p

This one was grilled. I cooked it directly on the grate with indirect heat, then slid it onto the cookie sheet I originally formed it on, for the trip back into the kitchen.

Before the last rise, I spread olive oil doctored with minced garlic and Italian seasoning over it; I keep a bottle mixed and stashed just for the purpose. And right before cooking this particular one, I added red onion and fresh rosemary.

Almost forgot: the dough is half fresh-ground whole wheat flour, and half all-purpose white flour.

Back