Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same with me, just using a pot with a lid. Rinse/soak the rice for an hour, rinse. Now add water to about an inch above the rice. Now bring that to a boil, and once boiling, back it off to a simmer, and cover it completely; this steams the rice. No longer than 40 minutes.

I could only find 1/2 gal jars. I found that each 1/2 gal jar could hold about 2-3 cups of rice, and I used about 1 yeast ball per 1/2 gal jar.

So my calculation for a 5 pound bag of rice:
- 5 lbs of rice is about 12 cups
- use about 15-18 cups of water
- 12 cups of rice is about 3 gallon jars to ferment in
- use about 6-8 yeast balls, at least 2 per jar

edit: I am using Thai "glutinous" rice.

edit2: "I'm planning on making enough rice to fill 2 or 3 of the WM one quart cookie jar things. "
That would be 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon, so about 1 cup of rice for each jar. Maybe 1.5 cups. And 2 balls could cover it all.

On a different note, I bottled my rice wine in Grolsch style bottles, and put it in the fridge after only a week or so (I know, I know :) ). So I went in today and they had quite a "pop" when I released the top. Bottle bombs if I had capped them off.

Cool thanks. I looked for RYR but I don't think they had it. They had 5 or 6 kinds in the cooler section that said "sweet" or "fermented" or both on them but I read earlier in the thread these weren't good to use. The place I went is huge and I have to believe they have it somewhere in there but I didn't see it. I saw dry red rice with the other rices but not RYR. The language barrier is thick at this place. I even asked for Koji and they looked at me like I was from another planet. I'm in Denver so this is by no means the only Asian megamarket. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again. :mug:
Pacific Ocean International has both.
2200 W Alameda Avenue # 2B Denver, CO 80223

The RYR and rice yeast balls are in the same aisle with the leaveners and some different kinds of sugar. Rice yeast balls are in the middle, the RYR is on the other side of the aisle near the front of the store. The RYR should be in 400 gram bags that look like one of these.

The leftover starch from the last batch that I'm drying looks good. The material on the cookie sheet has decreased in volume by about 1/3 and is now hard and crunchy to the touch. The stuff in the muffin cups is still very moist. I spread it out onto the cookie sheet to dry.

I got about 200 grams of dried starch mass from about 1/2 of the portion I'm intending to dry. I'd estimate about 500 grams total yield if I was drying the entire thing, but I've got about 20% of the total in a ziplock to try after a few weeks in the fridge. I'll post real numbers when the rest of the batch I'm drying in dry enough to bag and weigh.

EDIT: In case anybody is curious, I put a scant cup of crushed RYR and a 4 oz package of rice yeast balls in the original batch with 15 cups of dry rice. I just weighed a scant cup of RYR, and it came out at 100 grams. The package of rice yeast balls says it is 114 grams. The package of rice yeast balls was 12 balls.

EDIT2: The original rice starch mass was used to do a second 15 cup batch. The stuff I'm drying/refrigerating in from the second generation batch.

RYR only brewing supplies.JPG

Pacific Ocean International has both.
2200 W Alameda Avenue # 2B Denver, CO 80223

The RYR and rice yeast balls are in the same aisle with the leaveners and some different kinds of sugar. Rice yeast balls are in the middle, the RYR is on the other side of the aisle near the front of the store. The RYR should be in 400 gram bags that look like one of these.

Yeah that's where I went. I'll look again. I guess you're in Denver too? Do you brew beers too?

Thanks

The pineapple peach looks amazing. When did you add the adjunct fruit? I might try to do a little something like that with one of the two batches I have going now. Add a little fruit juice to it right before pasteurizing.

I just bought canned fruit and added it to a 750 of the wine in the blender. Ran it through a couple of strainers and it was good to go. Added some nice acidity and sweetness. I brought both of the bottles to a beer bottle share last night and they were gone within 2 hours of being there.

OK so I just got back from the store and getting ready to pull the trigger on this. Here is what I got:

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/elkshadow/media/DSC_4073_zps5e7de3f6.jpg.html

and this:

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/el...f-40fc-92a4-db317bc3ac4d_zpsc83b5ab7.jpg.html

So I've read most of the thread and asked for a recap about 20 pages ago. Let me just get this straight. Soak the rice for at least an hour. Then cook the rice using a 1.25:1 ratio of water to amount of dry rice you started with? Also, I've seen very different amounts of how many crushed balls (lol) to use per amount of rice.

I'm planning on making enough rice to fill 2 or 3 of the WM one quart cookie jar things.

Also, does the rice have to be steamed? I don't have a rice cooker and I live in a condo and I really don't like having "one trick pony" appliances taking up space. I don't eat rice so don't have a need for one other than making wine.

Am I on the right track? Is there a step by step besides the general one in the OP I could use that takes into account all the good wisdom thus far in this thread? I'm looking for a "making RW for dummies" kind of thing.

Thanks

I do not soak, just rinse until the water runs clear. I have been running 1:1.5 rice to water and cooking it on the stove with no issues. I have also been reducing my yeast balls to 2 balls per 6cups of dry rice and have had no issues.

Yeah that's where I went. I'll look again. I guess you're in Denver too? Do you brew beers too?

Thanks
I've actually tried a fair number of kinds of beer. I haven't found one I like yet, so not generally. Though I have made beer.

I do not soak, just rinse until the water runs clear. I have been running 1:1.5 rice to water and cooking it on the stove with no issues. I have also been reducing my yeast balls to 2 balls per 6cups of dry rice and have had no issues.

Yeah I just got done cooking it. I used 2 cups dry, soaked for an hour, rinsed, cooked in 3.5 cups water for 20 minutes. It's a gooey mess and I am letting it cool now. I crushed up 2 balls but it sounds like I don't need to use it all.

Alright I just got done pitching and I'm concerned. What I ended up putting in my jars was the consistency of porridge and as sticky as glue. The only resemblance it had to rice was that it's white. It's basically rice mush. There are no discernible individual rice grains present. Just sticky gooey mess. I did layer the rice-yeast-rice-yeast etc.

I've been brewing beer since 1994 and not surprised by much in the world of fermentation so I am very laid back about the outcome of this but what I have looks nothing like any pics in this thread. Thoughts?

Alright I just got done pitching and I'm concerned. What I ended up putting in my jars was the consistency of porridge and as sticky as glue. The only resemblance it had to rice was that it's white. It's basically rice mush. There are no discernible individual rice grains present. Just sticky gooey mess. I did layer the rice-yeast-rice-yeast etc.

I've been brewing beer since 1994 and not surprised by much in the world of fermentation so I am very laid back about the outcome of this but what I have looks nothing like any pics in this thread. Thoughts?

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/elkshadow/media/DSC_4081_zps117ff7bd.jpg.html

Its fine, leave it alone for 3 weeks

read the whole thread. heading to asian market today after work.

I gotta lay off this site!

Laying off this site is like Laying off Oxygen. It wont happen till you die.:mug:

So stopped at a local Asian Market.... That is actually the stores name by the way:D. No Yeast balls in site:mad:. Gonna have to try the "new" asian market that just opened on the other side of town. BUt I did walk away with some Sushi rice and Red yeast Rice... Question I have is can I just use the RYR or do I have to have the yeast balls with it?:confused:

Just looks really really gooey.

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/elkshadow/media/DSC_4081_zps117ff7bd.jpg.html

Looks and sounds like you used too much water. You exceeded the 1:5 ratio and soaked. It will probably be fine, but others have experienced more sour wine from excessive water.

Looks and sounds like you used too much water. You exceeded the 1:5 ratio and soaked. It will probably be fine, but others have experienced more sour wine from excessive water.

Very true. No sweetness at all in the one " gooey, sticky mess" that I made when using too much water. But on the bright side, even then it was drinkable after mixing or sweetening.

This stuff is versatile and durable.

Well, I started out with 2.5 (which would have been 1:1.25) and it soaked that up before the boil even started. I added another half cup of water and as soon as it came to a boil it was absorbed and sticking to the bottom. I added another half cup, got it unstuck and simmered for 10 minutes and it was a dry gooey mess.

So I'll try a quick rinse and the 1.25 next time. I need a bigger jar.

Well, I started out with 2.5 (which would have been 1:1.25) and it soaked that up before the boil even started. I added another half cup of water and as soon as it came to a boil it was absorbed and sticking to the bottom. I added another half cup, got it unstuck and simmered for 10 minutes and it was a dry gooey mess.

I hear you. I think the soaking just adds more work and variability. I try to keep my process as simple as possible with just boiling and rinsing. You will find out what works best for you. We all have. Cheers!

I bottled mine two days ago after fermenting for 21 days. I ended up with around a half gallon of liquid (I used 6 cups of long grain rice & 2 cups of sugar). Oddly enough, the rice placed in the 3 quart jar was considerably sweeter than that put in the 5 gallon bucket. The liquid in the bucket was definitely more potent, using the WAG method I'm going to say between 15% & 20% ABV. I think the variable here was I used way more of the yeast balls in the bucket, so more starches were converted. So now I have a free bucket and yeast balls left: what to do, what to do... :rockin:

As far as extraction, I simply put a strainer bag over my brew pot and dumped the contents of the fermenters in. I let it drain for several mintues, and then poured the contents into my bottles.

It's probably fine. Some of the "sweet glutinous" rice varieties have a lot of short chain carbohydrates in them. So, they tend to give up a lot of starch to the liquid when they are boiled or cooked in a rice cooker. The only way to avoid that gelatinous mess is to steam the rice.

The rice wine I made with the Japanese sweet rice did the same thing. Giant rice booger. Excellent rice wine.

The remaining starch from the muffin tin dried a lot faster then I anticipated on the cookie sheet. Altogether I got 386 grams of dried starch mass out of the batch. That's with about 20% of it still in the ziplock in the fridge.

I'll start a few small batches this weekend so I can see if the home dried RYR is still viable. For comparisons sake I'm planning 7 batches. It should answer a few questions.

1. Commercial RYR+rice yeast ball (control)
2. Commercial yeast ball (control #2)
3. Home dried RYR only
4. Home dried RYR+rice yeast ball
5. Refrigerated starch mass
6. Commercial RYR+rice yeast ball+yeast nutrient
7. Commercial rice yeast ball+yeast nutrient

I may change my mind and omit the yeast nutrient portion of the experiment, it would save me 3 of the 7 planned batches.

DSC_0001.jpg

Ok, I had to post this. The results from following this thread are too good not to post.

I bought two 1 gallon jars from Target and whipped up six cups of Kokuho Rose (California) sushi rice. I steamed the whole batch using a large pot and a metal basket steamer and split the steamed rice yield between the two 1 gallon jars which filled them to 3/4 full. Jacksonville has several Asian markets so finding dried yeast balls was no issue whatsoever. I crushed up three of them to powder gently using a rolling pin inside of a ziplock sandwich bag and pitched them evenly on the rice directly (no flour added as in some online articles). I mixed the rice by hand but I think I pitched on the rice while it was a little too warm and had to switch to a spoon because of the steam heat burning my hands. I covered each lid with saran wrap and gave the metal lids just enough of a half turn to attach them to the top of their jars. I placed each jar in a plastic tub in case of a blow off and set them in a dark cabinet to rest for the week.

I've checked the jars during this first week and noticed a slow colonization by a filmy white fungus (according to this thread, a great thing) and a slow accumulation of liquid in each jar. The liquification still continues but tonight, at one week and after a few beers, the curiosity got the better of me and I poured off about 2 ounces of liquid from each jar. I didn't squeeze the rice and there is plenty of liquid remaining in the bottom of each jar. I just wanted a sample and i'm happy to let the fermentation continue. I poured the wine from each jar into a crystal clear tumbler (2 ounces from each jar) and the re-sealed the rice under saran wrap and 1/2 turned on lids and put them back in the cabinet.

The liquid in the glass was a rich, opaque white color. A mixture of rice solids and alcoholic rice wine. I held the tumbler to my nose and immediately was hit with a massive scent of beautiful tropical flavors. Citrus, mango, plum, peach and star fruit intensely marched across my nose. This, of course, got me very excited. I gave the pourings a tentative first sip and was immediately bowled over. All of those tropical scents translated perfectly in a smooth, easy drinking delicious glass of rice wine with the right balance of slight acidity, tropical fruit flavors and semi-sweetness mixed with undetectable, but potent, alcohol.

All I have to say is: Wow. WAAAAW. Holy $hit, SonOfGrok.... I owe you for this thread big time. Yeah, we can make a superior, delicious rice wine at home that doesn't taste like green bottle Gekkikan dirt water. No wonder your rice wines don't last long once you ferment up your batches.

I predict my new rice steamer is about to get a serious workout.

I have been using that same rice. It's the Balls, shorter grain = shorter carb chains.

It's producing some awesome results. I can't wait to try the wine again at two weeks and see how it's evolving. I made a rookie mistake with the red rice and wound up purchasing Thai red cargo rice instead of RYR but i'm sure the family will eat it up.

I do have some questions about pasteurization for everyone:

1) Is it better to bring the bottle(s) of rice wine to 160f from room temperature, or just add them to the pot of water once it reaches that temperature?

2) Does pasteurization affect the flavor/taste?

I am going to harvest this weekend (maybe tomorrow if I got hot and bothered enough) and will probably bottle in a grolsch bottle and put in the fridge. So far it smells awesome and looks... well it looks a little alien, but thats cool.

If I like it as much as I think I will I am going to cook up all of my rice, put it in my pickle crock with the yeast balls I have coming and go for broke.

aiptasia said:
It's producing some awesome results. I can't wait to try the wine again at two weeks and see how it's evolving. I made a rookie mistake with the red rice and wound up purchasing Thai red cargo rice instead of RYR but i'm sure the family will eat it up.

I do have some questions about pasteurization for everyone:

1) Is it better to bring the bottle(s) of rice wine to 160f from room temperature, or just add them to the pot of water once it reaches that temperature?

2) Does pasteurization affect the flavor/taste?

1) I use the method in the stove top pasteurization sticky in the cider forum. Bring water to 190, add bottles, cover and turn off heat, wait atleast 10 minutes and remove bottles.

2) I haven't noticed a difference in flavor between pasteurized and non-pasteurized.

I have seen a few people adding extra fermentable sugar to these batches and I am wondering if how this compares to non sugar added batches. I am also thinking about doing a couple experiments. One with maltose syrup, one with honey, one with brown sugar, table sugar, and plain for a comparison. Thoughts or ideas?

CreamyGoodness said:
What is the benefit of pasteurization?

It kills the yeast and prevents continued fermentation. So you can keep it around longer without it changing, carbonating, or exploding what you bottle it in. The yeast in these balls tends to keep working even at refrigeration temps.

I've had my 2 bottles in the fridge for almost 2 weeks now. I'm taking a small glass about every other day. One of the bottles gives a faint "pop" when I open it (Grolsch Bottle) sometimes but it isn't building up any appreciable pressure. I don't imagine a bottle lasting more than 2-3 weeks around my house so I don't pasteurize. I have noticed the taste has mellowed (for the better) a little even in this short time.
If I were to try to keep some around longer I probably would stove top pasteurize though.

So youd suggest I bottle friday after 3 weeks, pasteurize and chill, and then give a shake before serving cold sake?

The only reason i'll be pasteurizing mine will be to:

A) Stop the fermentation process and,
B) Give a few small bottles to friends.

I'd prefer it if the bottles for friends were a little more shelf stable and not on their way to vinegar by the time they get around to trying it out.

1) I use the method in the stove top pasteurization sticky in the cider forum. Bring water to 190, add bottles, cover and turn off heat, wait atleast 10 minutes and remove bottles.

2) I haven't noticed a difference in flavor between pasteurized and non-pasteurized.

Ty for this. :)

But do you think doing so would make it less likely for me to have "rice champagne" (which doesnt sound all that nice to be honest) and give me a more even product?

I have seen a few people adding extra fermentable sugar to these batches and I am wondering if how this compares to non sugar added batches. I am also thinking about doing a couple experiments. One with maltose syrup, one with honey, one with brown sugar, table sugar, and plain for a comparison. Thoughts or ideas?
Be careful with the amount of syrup you use with the the brown sugar. It's a strong flavor to introduce into something that is fairly subtle to begin with.

Interesting, I basically process the same way as water bath canning. Stick the bottles in the pot on a cooling rack or something to keep them off the bottom. Add water until it covers the level of liquid in the bottles for corked bottles, or the whole bottles by a 1/2" for crown bottles. Then heat to 160f, maintain that for 10 minutes. Remove from water and place on a towel on the counter until cooled.

For corked bottles I put aluminum foil "hats" on the bottles since you can't cork them until they are cool. Once the liquid had dropped back to the shoulder of the bottle, they are cool enough to cork. Assuming you didn't overfill them in the first place.

I have found that pasteurization causes the wine to separate more quickly, but does not effect flavor.

So youd suggest I bottle friday after 3 weeks, pasteurize and chill, and then give a shake before serving cold sake?
Depends on personal taste I think. I like mine best at cellar temps, around 50f. I find if it's been chilled in my fridge it doesn't have much of an aroma until it's warmed a bit.

But do you think doing so would make it less likely for me to have "rice champagne" (which doesnt sound all that nice to be honest) and give me a more even product?
Well, yeah. Pasteurization kills the yeast. No live yeast in the bottle means you won't have any co2 production. Of course, since you can't cork a bottle until after it's been pasteurized there is an extremely small chance you will get wild yeast in the bottle which will carbonate it anyway. That isn't a problem with crown caps of course. That kind of infection is so incredibly unlikely though...

Ok so here's what I got after 3 days. Seems like a lot of liquid in a short amount of time compared to other posts in this thread. If this fairly normal? I made it Tuesday night, went camping for a couple nights and came home to this. There was a faint smell in my kitchen that I rather liked.

Look OK? Thanks.

Ok so here's what I got after 3 days. Seems like a lot of liquid in a short amount of time compared to other posts in this thread. If this fairly normal? I made it Tuesday night, went camping for a couple nights and came home to this. There was a faint smell in my kitchen that I rather liked.

Look OK? Thanks.

That is fairly quick, warm at home? Short grain rice?

Back