What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched part one of Chad Yakobson's presentation on Brettanomyces. Too much info to watch the entire thing tonight, I still need to process this. Great resource though :D

Had a busy night.

Brewed a cream of 3 crops

Kegged a cran-cider

Made a black currant cider

Dry hopped a citra ipa

Bottled a golden strong

Made a mezzaluna wine

Made a lacto starter

Moved one pilsner to 50°, another to 30°

Stayed calm, drank beer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't know whether to be inspired or call BS. :mug:

I brewed a pseudo Lambic today. While transferring to the carboy, some Starsan foam decided to snake out the bung and coil around the tubing to the kettle.

IMG_20140305_185528.jpg

Washed and cleaned about fifty bottles. Bottled up my hoppy wheat beer and dry hopped my session zd clone

Sent from a happy little tree

Fermentation Monster refuses to be contained. Punished me by shooting krausen all over the bedroom.

1394197115197.jpg

Also, i dryhopped my english IPA, 50 grams of east goldings.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

Today I will be brewing my Mexican (Vienna) Lager. Should have just enough time to lager and be ready for Cinco de Mayo (there's a beer for every occasion and every occasion is an excuse to make beer :).

Gonna toss some roasted jalepenos into secondary and make this a Mexican Chili Lager.

Arriba!

Just printed out the label to attach to the Box O' Beers I am going to ship to gratus fermentatio as soon as I get out of the office. Travel safe guys.

Ordered supplies. We haven't brewed anything in almost five months and we're antsy. Have enough coming for 25 gallons. 20 for the kegs and five for bottles.

That should keep us busy for a few weeks.

Started the cold crash yesterday on an American Brown that will be kegged this weekend. I am ready for this one. :)

Stopped at the new LHBS that just opened nearby to pick up some ingredients and supplies.

I like the place, but had to step in when I heard the clerk explaining to someone that you can't directly scale batches from 5 gallons down to 1 gallon...

Also just threw together a lacto starter. Hoping it stays warmish under the oven light.

Haven't brewed in a few months myself. Damn hospitalization for Ford retirees got a $500 deductible that pretty much killed my brewing. Then that hacker sumbitch with hackthis BS. I got somethin' for ya to hack you dirty little prick!
I'd love to find out who 1cooldudeme.exe is,I'd love to have God give me back my strength just once. By the throat,up & into the back breaker! My favorite cu de grah...then a 6'r or so...:ban:

Today I will be brewing my Mexican (Vienna) Lager. Should have just enough time to lager and be ready for Cinco de Mayo (there's a beer for every occasion and every occasion is an excuse to make beer :).

Gonna toss some roasted jalepenos into secondary and make this a Mexican Chili Lager.

Arriba!

Roasted jalapenos really seem to work well.
I made a jalapeno ale, added them end of boil and in secondary.
It was perfect.

you can't directly scale batches from 5 gallons down to 1 gallon...

My first 6 months of AG brewing says otherwise. The awesome guy that runs my LHBS helped me scale down some hop measurements that were given in handfulls.

I didn't do much today. I added some nutrient to a black currant cider that was fermenting pretty well.

When the nutrient hit the foam it was like one of those lava science projects.
I was so surprised I just stared at it, a purple fountain rising majestically from my carboy. Mesmerizing as it was I finally regained my senses and shoved the cap back on. Lesson learned, I read you loud and clear, there is a time and place for nutrient.

I also ordered my camlocks from brewers hardware. Very excited.

Did the test tap on the Irish Red Ale. I think it'll be ready next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Picked up my 7cu ft keezer off craigslist, then got a filled CO2 tank on way home, and wired stc-1000 to a socket in a project box...now on and set to 4 deg C....next stop is put the kegs in once filled!

sent from Galaxy S4 after a few beers using homebrew talk app

Brewed a North German Alt all grain in 4 hours (a new personal record), hit 72% efficiency, and polished off a keg of hefe with the wife as I brewed. Good day all around. ;)

My first 6 months of AG brewing says otherwise. The awesome guy that runs my LHBS helped me scale down some hop measurements that were given in handfulls.

Yea, I scale all my recipes down. Brew ~1.25 gal/batch. Take a 5 gal recipe and divide by 4. Simple.

I wonder if he was thinking of low OG recipes...but still, just more proof that it's better to take advice from HBT than from a random LHBS employee.

Hung out with a buddy and helped him with his very first batch. Was Caribou Slobber- hit our OG dead on and he is now waiting for 6 weeks to pass so he can taste the finished product.

Bottled my President's American IPA and printed my lables for the AHA NHC. Shipping to Philly on Monday.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I didn't do much today. I added some nutrient to a black currant cider that was fermenting pretty well.

When the nutrient hit the foam it was like one of those lava science projects.
I was so surprised I just stared at it, a purple fountain rising majestically from my carboy. Mesmerizing as it was I finally regained my senses and shoved the cap back on. Lesson learned, I read you loud and clear, there is a time and place for nutrient.

I had a similar experience adding some brown sugar to an imperial stout at high krausen. What an awesome smelling mess that was.

Picked up some new equipment off of Craigslist. A lot of it was backups of stuff I had but such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

Kegged a Brooklyn Summer ale clone which is for next Sunday at my in-laws. It is St. Patrick's day on the Monday and they are 25 years in the house, so a bbq/session is the order of the day. Beer tasted very nice too :)

Took hydrometer readings on pri and sec fermenters. Added isenglass to the sec in anticipation of kegging in a few days.

Transferred my Dunkelweisen bomb to it's secondary and brewed my first Belgian Blondie. Did all the Honeydoos and now I'm chillin' with Biere De Boucher on tap, Life is good!

Took a hydrometer reading of my first all grain batch. Was bang on 1.01. Dry hopped it with 2 oz. of Mosaic. Smelling fantastic, sample tastes pretty damned good, about to celebrate that minor victory with a bottle of my previous batch, a citra hopped saison, which has finally carbed up after a stupid bottling goof.

Sampled my Belgian strong ale, well on it way, should be ready by Christmas and its casked.
Transferred an ale to the secondary and started cleaning/sanitizing some kegs for tomorrows kegging of the stout.

Cleaned/sanitized 2 kegs and then filled them up with 10 Gal of a Buffalo Sweat clone. GOOD GOD this is a tasty beer. Even uncarbed. I hope I can hold off long enough for it to get carbed because I really want to tap that keg already.

Put 5 gallons, which had been fermenting in a bucket for two weeks, into bottles. Now, I have to figure out the storage for the mead, which will be in secondary for 1-3+ months, followed by a year of aging.

Back