Question About My Strong IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
I brewed a strong IPA about 5 to 6 wks ago. At this point I am not sure if it is too soon to keg, carb, and drink. The fermentation stopped at a FG of 1.025, stayed that way for a couple weeks, so I know that is all I could expect from this. This batch is a higher alcohol brew, my first one like this. I calculated 7 to 8 % ABV. The recipe was a partial mash/extract with both dry and liquid extract.

At this point, it not only tastes of a strong alcohol content, and based upon taste alone, it seems much higher ABV than I calculated, and it has a very sweet taste, very difficult to drink. What can I expect from this batch after it finishes carbonating? Do I need to let it age at 65 to 70 degrees for a few more weeks/months? Will it still age if I go ahead an keg it, chill, and carbonate? Anyone have any comments concerning similar experiences with higher gravity brews?

once the yeast has finished I'd go straight to the keg. What was the starting gravity? 1.025 is not crazy high if you used all malt and started very high. What yeast did you use? Did you make a starter?

The longer you wait to drink it the hop bitterness will fade. IPA is best fresh. Not green but fresh.

I'm a little confused. You said that the ABV was higher than you calculated. Is that because you estimated a higher FG? 1.025 is probably done depending on your recipe. If it is overly malty and sweet, you should hop it up more next time or dry hop it.

If it is too sweet, consider adding 1 tsp of amylase enzyme and rack for 2 more weeks before kegging. A strong beer could use more time to condition anyway... and the amylase might help get into the 1.015-1.02 area...

I like my IPA's crisp and a final gravity that high is a little sweet for me...

The OG on this was 1.085. I used Wyeast Califoria Ale, but can't remember now which one, the 005 I think, is that right? The color is very dark amber. Based on taste, it seemed higher alcohol content than the calculated amount. Yes, I did a yeast starter, but 24 hrs prior and only about 32oz.

I don't have the recipe handy, but I will post later tonight.

THanks alot for the suggestions.

sounds like it's fully attenuated. I suggest you keg and carbonate. High gravity beers can end up very sweet as there is lots of unfermentable sugars from all the malt. Next time substitute some of the malt with simple table sugar to dry out the beer and lighten the body.

Back