Computer Fan or Heat Sink for SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeebc

Reaction score
I need a heat sink for the 40A Auberins SSR I just bought. I'm trying to avoid paying $10 to ship an $18 heat sink.

Could I use a computer fan or heat sink out of an old computer I have laying around to cool it? Could I avoid cooling it all together if I left it out of the control box (running a 5500 watt element @ 240V).

I also have to make a run to the local McMaster warehouse this weekend. Has anyone used on of the Pin Style (8822T12) or Fin Style heat sinks that they sell?

I wouldn't recommend running an SSR w/o a heat sink. I did for a little bit and it got so hot that its label wrinkled up. This is just gut feeling, but I don't think a computer fan would keep an SSR cool.. too little surface area.

I need a heat sink for the 40A Auberins SSR I just bought. I'm trying to avoid paying $10 to ship an $18 heat sink.

Could I use a computer fan or heat sink out of an old computer I have laying around to cool it? Could I avoid cooling it all together if I left it out of the control box (running a 5500 watt element @ 240V).

I also have to make a run to the local McMaster warehouse this weekend. Has anyone used on of the Pin Style (8822T12) or Fin Style heat sinks that they sell?

Worth a try. Use the biggest heat sink you have with some thermal paste and make sure you ahve as much surface area contact as possible. Heat sink with CPU fan running would be able to remove quite a bit of heat.

The watt density on a modern x86 microprocessor is about the same as the surface of the sun.... (not kidding here :D )

Just keep that fan turning :)

I'd start with the biggest heatsink you've got around. I believe in passive cooling whenever possible.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll have to dig through my computer graveyard in the basement to see what I come up with.

I'm still about a month out from having everything set up. I'll post results when I have them.

Latest posts

Back