Yeast pitch quantity and fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbes

Reaction score
Does the amount of yeast you pitch modify the speed at which a batch ferments?

I ask because I used two packets of yeast on my latest 5 gallon on Wednesday. Had wild fermentation yesterday ( had blowout tube installed, so nothing crazy happened ), but it's already dropping off significantly. This got me thinking that the amount of yeast impacts the fermentation rate, which in turn got me wondering if you can have "too active" fermentation.

It seems logical to me that the more viable yeast you pitch, the faster primary fermentation completes, but as I'm new to this still I'm not sure I understand all the variables.

The beer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/caribou-slobber-extract-kit.html

yeast: Danstar Windsor Ale x2

~66 degrees

Didn't take a reading ( I know, I know, but with the extract kits I usually don't ).

My question was more generic; I'm not really worried about this batch, but it got me wondering about pitch quantities and fermentation speeds.

You'll be fine with one pack of yeast, especially if you re-hydrate it properly.

I really like Windsor, it's better in a bitter than S-04 or Nottingham. :mug:

Rick

For dry yeast you only need 1 pack on that brew (unlike liquid yeast where you really need a starter or several packs of yeast).....but yes....fermentation will be faster & more rigorous with additional yeast....

Back