Ginger Citrus Cider BJCP cat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
any ideas on what category to use when submitting a cider with ginger and citrus zest? Herb and Spice? or Specialty?

C2E. Cider with Herbs/Spices
This is a cider with any combination of “botanicals” added.
Hopped ciders are included in this category. Other examples are
ciders with “apple pie” spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice),
ginger, lemon grass, herbal tea blends, etc.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure, if the citrus zest would count as a fruit addition or not.

thanks, that seems to be the consensus. I'm trying to build on my existing ginger cider recipe, thinking of ways that I might be able to modify it to pick up a few extra points. With just the ginger I submitted it as C2E and did well.

Finally pulled the trigger on this. 3 gallon batch 300g ginger, 30 g fresh peeled orange zest.

I'm intentionally trying to keep the fermentation subdued, but I opened the ferm chamber and there's a pleasant and noticeable orange zest aroma. As long as I don't have fermentation issues from a slow start, I think this will work out well.

I bought some citrus cider from Seattle Cider the last time I was in the US of A and I enjoyed it!

that's quite a lot of ginger. was it just peeled or coarsely chopped up, grated, etc?

Julienned into 1/4 inch sticks chopped 3/4-1 inch long.

My last two ginger ciders were 75 g per gallon and I felt they could use more, you really only got any ginger bite towards the end of the bottle.

So I kicked it up a notch.

Bottled this yesterday. I had to add some clementine zest a few weeks back, since the orange aroma all took off out the airlock. Flat sample left over from bottling day tastes like a bite of clementine in my cider and has a small little bite to it. I think this turned out well.

Make sure you list all your ingredients. This past weekend at the Cider Days competition a lot of C2E entries got dinged since the cider makers left that area blank on their entries but the ciders had obvious adjuncts. Even if your have a 'secret ingredient' you should list it if it's perceptible

Make sure you list all your ingredients. This past weekend at the Cider Days competition a lot of C2E entries got dinged since the cider makers left that area blank on their entries but the ciders had obvious adjuncts. Even if your have a 'secret ingredient' you should list it if it's perceptible

since you said "a lot" of entries I assume the info was provided on SOME C2E entries? I've gotten super frustrated with competition software that doesn't get info to the judges...

Back