First time generating a recipe from scratch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmhalula

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have just started experimenting with creating my own recipes and wanted to get your thoughts on a Nut Brown Ale I have created. thanks

Partial Mash
Batch Volume 5 gal
Boil Volume 3 gal

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
Grain
4 lbs 1.6 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 45.1 %
3 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 33.0 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.2 %
12.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.2 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.5 %

Hops
1.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 27.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 3.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

with WYeast 1056 (American Ale)

thanks for your input.

The SRM's seem off.. for 12 ounces of Special B malt should be around 14. Probably a typo I'm guessing. What beer calculator did you use?

Looks good to me though!

Seem like a bit too much Chocolate malt to me. Maybe not though.

What about some Medium Crystal?

Also, 3oz of Cascade seems like a lot of hops for the last 10 min of a boil/flameout. May overpower the nose.

Seem like a bit too much Chocolate malt to me. Maybe not though.

What about some Medium Crystal?

Also, 3oz of Cascade seems like a lot of hops for the last 10 min of a boil/flameout. May overpower the nose.

To each his own, but imo that much cascades at the end of the boil sounds fantastic. That's where i want the hops the most!

I take it this is a partial mash recipe? Just want to make sure otherwise you need to do something with that Maris Otter and I don't see a mash profile in the recipe.

I say drop the chocolate down to 2 oz and switch the special B for c-60. Sounds better for a nut brown. Hops look great.

Special B in a nut brown? Not sure that will give you what you're looking for. Special B is all about the dark fruit flavours, and as such is typically used in Belgian beers. I would recommend looking at brown malt, and as everyone else recommended, I would also drop down the chocolate. You might want to add some medium crystal malt (55-65) to give you some body as well.

good call on the Special B. i had a little here at the house and thought it would work but yeah the maltiness of it isn't something I am looking for.

the chocolate i meant to put 4 oz. i have half of a half pound bag here so i guess just put the 8 oz instead.

in taking that out it really dropped the color so i swapped out some of the MO for Brown Malt and C-60. so I now have 2 lbs of MO and 1 each of the Brown and C-60.

it is still about 23 SRM (according to Beersmith) which is on the lighter side but i guess that is ok.

Thanks for the input.

Back