advantage of geared mill rollers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
I see the J&P MaltMill has an option of geared rollers for the mill. It is a fairly inexpensive upgrade.
C&S, MM, and most others only have one driven and "free rollers"...what is the advantage of gear rollers, and if there is, why are the other companies offering that option?

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but when I crank my Malt Mill, both rollers turn. So, they must be geared, right? In any case, I've been pleased with my Malt Mill, no complaints.

When I built my roller mill I started with nothing, then added an O-ring drive wheel to get both to turn, but the O-ring burned through and fell off. I re-knurled and it worked great with nothing for a while, but started to not catch grain again.

SO I finally had our Wire EDM guy cut a pair of gears and put them on and it crushes like crazy now. I think it's good insurance against slippage, but I think that most people don't have a problem with the quality pre-made crushers either.

The Barley Crushers are notorious for having the passive roller stop turning if not kept lubricated.

:off:
. . . then added an O-ring drive wheel to get both to turn, but the O-ring burned through and fell off.
Was this on a Barley Crusher? A while ago I posted about doing something like this to my Barley Crusher. Did you follow that lead or try something different yourself? How did you add the o-ring?

The Barley Crushers are notorious for having the passive roller stop turning if not kept lubricated.

:off:
Was this on a Barley Crusher? A while ago I posted about doing something like this to my Barley Crusher. Did you follow that lead or try something different yourself? How did you add the o-ring?

No, I built one with scrap parts from my work. Not sure where I got the inspiration, but it didn't work, and anyway, it was much easier to draw gears up in Solidworks and have the night shift cut them on the Wire EDM machine. I have a video of it working, but my camera is at home.

Back