Help with Extract Recipe and dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Havent brewed in a while and ive put together this for my next recipe. If someone could give it a once over to make sure nothing is lacking or weird.

American Pale Ale

2 Cans LME - Pilsen Light LME 3.3 lb
2 ounce Northern Brewer hops boil for one hour
1 Ounce Cascade hop last 5 minutes
1 Safale US-05 Ale Yeast (is one pack enough?)

Question what would be a good hop to dry hop with? I was thinking 1 ounce of Cascade? Im open to suggestions.

Also I dont care if this is a true American Pale ale, i just want it to taste good at the end of the day lol

Looks pretty close to what I just brewed, I also steeped a half pound of crystal malt in there too. I think i used about two oz of cascade and amarillo hops, but started with 1 oz for 60, .5 for 30, and .5 for 15, and dry hopped with cascade. Just bottled it yesterday, and my hydrometer sample tasted pretty good!

I'd steep a half-pound of 40L Crystal malt, but other wise it's sounding simple and tasty.

One packet of S-05 is enough.

I think you're right on dry-hopping with more Cascades.

Cheers,

Bob

Would anyone explain to me what 40L crystal malt would add to this beer? is it just fermentable sugar or flavor??

Is their a thread that covers the steeping procedure? I have never steeped before.

thanks for the quick input guys!

Crystal malt adds body and sweetness. As with any food ingredient, the intensity of characteristics depends on the proportion used.

Crystal malt, for various reasons, also imparts some fermentable sugar to the brew.

Steeping is easy. Tell you what - rather than rewrite the book, here's the book:

John Palmer's How To Brew - the Online Version

Read it. If you have questions, ask us here on HBT.

Cheers!

Bob

Latest posts

Back