Types of sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billsack

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Am just about to get started on my second batch of brew (from an extract kit). The first was a success. It took a lot longer to mature than I thought but towards the last few bottles was pretty good beer.

Last time I added 1kg of sugar that was labelled as "Brewing Sugar" and came with the starter kit. As a primer for each bottle I just put in a teasoon or so of regular granulated sugar and this was fine.

My question is...

Can I use ordinary granulated sugar instead of brewing sugar?
What is brewing sugar?
What are the differences in using the two?

Cheers for your help!
:ban: :mug:

Sugars, a good discussion of types.

Brewing sugar is also known as corn sugar (AKA dextrose) and is made from corn starch. It is preferable over table/granulated/sucrose sugar, as it gives less of a cidery aftertaste for boosting ABV. For priming, the amount used is so small it hardly matters (insert flame war).

Brewing sugar/corn sugar is not to be confused with high-fructose corn sugar, which is yet another product.

Corn -> corn starch -(heat/enzymes)> corn sugar (dextrose) -(enzyme catalyzed isomerization)> high fructose corn sugar.

Much of the maltodextrine sold comes from corn as well.

You can but it is not recommended... Brewing sugar is often just corn sugar. Often called Priming sugar.
It's cheap and effective.. I don't know exactly how the normal table sugar would work.. I wouldn’t' risk it..
The easiest way to add the priming sugar is right into the bottling bucket. Boil a small amount of water and add 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar. let it dissolve in the water. I then pour that into the bottling bucket and rack onto the solution.

Back