University researchers developing cancer-fighting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me, I have read most of the literature on resveratrol, you would have to drink something like 4 cases of wine a night to get the same dose as those mice in the animal studies. It ain't gonna work, even with yeast making it for the beer, and genetically engineering yeast to make resveratrol (which even chemists have trouble synthesizing and when purified out of grapes is only 1/4 active) is gonna be near impossible.

I was thinking about doing this for my senior project. Being a bio major and having an interest in brewing (biochem is useful), i was thinking about repeating the experiment the rice university kids did, except i don't like heffs, and would love to try it with an ipa.

Believe me, I have read most of the literature on resveratrol, you would have to drink something like 4 cases of wine a night to get the same dose as those mice in the animal studies. It ain't gonna work, even with yeast making it for the beer, and genetically engineering yeast to make resveratrol (which even chemists have trouble synthesizing and when purified out of grapes is only 1/4 active) is gonna be near impossible.

The article says ~1/2 a bottle of wine per day to get the amounts. The weird thing is, they present that amount as if drinking that much is a bad thing.

Back