American Pale Ale Sacred Summit Pale Ale (AG) [[ Gold Medal and Best In Show ]]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the 2-week wait for the bottles to condition, I cracked one of these open last night. HOLY COW THIS STUFF IS GOOD! So far my favorite beer I've made. The tangerine flavor comes through fantastically! I will definitely be adding this into my "MAKE AGAIN IMMEDIATELY" category once I'm out of it... heck I might start a batch before I'm even out of it!

Thanks for the recipe BierMuncher!

Bottled a batch of this tonight. First time for dry hopping and cold crashing for me. Except for a stuck sparge, everything went well. I hit all my number dead on and bottled 54 bottles of this sweet nectar. And it is definitely on the sweet side from the initial tasting. Not much on the aroma side but the sweet tangerine certainly comes through. Sweeter than I expected. Will be interesting how it conditions out. Now for the hard part....

Bottled mine two weeks ago and it's tasting great now.
I don't really get much tangerine or any predominant aroma/flavour it just tastes pleasantly hoppy and well balanced. I can't stop drinking the stuff.

Also a point worth noting, I really like my beer cool and normally put them in the freezer before drinking. Now I've brewed 3 beers in a row with Golden Promise (similar to Maris Otter) and the they all taste much better at normal fridge temperature.

I went to brew this last April (2014). Gathered all my grains into a bag at the LHBS and then went looking for the Summit hops. doh

Needless to say they didn't have any and neither did the only other shop in town. Asked the owner for a sub and he suggested Magnum. So I brewed a Magnum Forced brew with this recipe.

Turned out excellent. Fast forward about a month and a regulator decided to start creeping up on me and overcarbed it pretty badly. It was almost empty so I vented it and pulled it from the kegorator and just set it aside since I had people coming soon and dropped in another brew.

Now fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I noticed it just sitting there minding it's own business when another keg kicked. Figured what the hell and chilled it and put it back on the proper amount of gas and checked it a few days later.

This was absolutely wonderful. A shame there were only a about 8 of these glasses left in it.

Thanks BM.

IMG_20150529_181906_902.jpg

Bottled mine two weeks ago and it's tasting great now.
I don't really get much tangerine or any predominant aroma/flavour it just tastes pleasantly hoppy and well balanced. I can't stop drinking the stuff.

Also a point worth noting, I really like my beer cool and normally put them in the freezer before drinking. Now I've brewed 3 beers in a row with Golden Promise (similar to Maris Otter) and the they all taste much better at normal fridge temperature.

So 10 weeks later and I have one bottle left :(
A mild tangerine flavour was noticeable after about 3 weeks.
Very nice beer.

As I a have a lot of MO, Willamette and Summit I was thinking of brewing an IPA version of this. Anyone tried that yet, or would that be risking making an onion soup with so much Summit?

Thinking about brewing up this batch. I do not keg, would I just leave in primary for another week then bottle?

I bought a pound of Summit hops last year, 2013 harvest at 16.7.

I used a small amount on some smash brews and it has always been frozen and vacuum sealed any time it was opened.

Any idea how much I should add if any to match this recipe? I'm gonna try it again but this time with summit.

I know it depends on storage but I think I've taken good care of them.

Been wanting to brew something with Summit hops for a while. So, here I am, starting the boil!

Had all kinds of weird problems today (spilled my sparge water, leaky hot liquor tank, sparge arm kept sinking), but we're finally making progress! And it smells delightful.

Updates to come.

Brewed this twice in 5 gallon batches, need to bump it up to 10. Family and friends love it, even those who 'hate' a bitter beer. Tangerine flavor is awesome.

Just kegged this. My gravity dropped a few points during dry hopping, so my FG wound up being 1.008. A little drier than I wanted, but it still tastes amazing.

Now comes the worst part: waiting for it to carbonate.

Kegged my new batch yesterday. Numbers came out exact on what beersmith said. Put on 30 PSI yesterday morning. I'll cut it back tonight when I get home. Sample tasted and smelled great.

So changing the recipe is half the fun of brewing, right? I used the grain bill of this recipe and used all wild foraged and a little homegrown hops, along with a "wild" Brett yeast. Smells great burping in the basement.

anyone have thoughts using Notty in place of US-05? I ask because I have a brew scheduled for this weekend and it uses Notty, which I will need approx 4 grams of dry yeast and didn't want to waste the other half of the package.

Did another batch with Jarrylo augmenting some of the summit. Had more of a tropical (mango?-ish) citrus flavor. Going to stick with this and maybe try the summit with mandarina bavaria next time through.

made my first batch today... it's in the fermenter at 67*... 5.75 gallons with a 1.072 OG.

That's a good 17 points higher than the OG of the OP.
Did you increase the hops as well?

I brewed this according to the OP earlier this year and it was a great beer but am also interested in brewing an IPA version. So I would be interested in how yours turns out.

I just added a little more grain and got an excellent efficiency (BIAB). I followed the hops to the letter and plan to dry hop, but I'm not looking for a real hoppy beer. It was bubbling away this morning. :ban:

That's a good 17 points higher than the OG of the OP.
Did you increase the hops as well?

I brewed this according to the OP earlier this year and it was a great beer but am also interested in brewing an IPA version. So I would be interested in how yours turns out.

We had a brew day yesterday and the Summit PA (IPA) was a big hit. It ended up at 1.015 FG for an ABV of about 7.48%. The beer is awesome and has the balance of hops and malt that I like...you would never guess the abv while tasting it. The bitterness is just right for my tastes in that it kicks in just after I swallow. My wife hates IPAs and drank some of this.

:mug:

We had a brew day yesterday and the Summit PA (IPA) was a big hit. It ended up at 1.015 FG for an ABV of about 7.48%. The beer is awesome and has the balance of hops and malt that I like...you would never guess the abv while tasting it. The bitterness is just right for my tastes in that it kicks in just after I swallow. My wife hates IPAs and drank some of this.

Great, thanks for the feedback.

Think I'll give it a go; bump the OG up to about 1.065 - 1.070 and go for about 50 IBUs.

Will be next year though as I already have my next 5 brew days planned for other beers

I decided to keep this grain bill rolling. Bumped the grain % up with a tight crush for BIAB and hit 7.25%. Bow is right, you can't really taste the ABV on this. I used summit, mand bav, jarrylo, and citra, about 3oz of each throughout. It's another one of those IPA's for people who proclaim to hate IPA's. Went with omega 'hot head' yeast and wasn't disappointed. Grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple and lemon.

Nestled this beer to bed n the basement for a few weeks to ferment,Hit OG of 1060! Yikes i guess i boiled off too much but it will still be tasty.

I also brewed this on the weekend and hit 1.058 but forgot the Whirlfloc/Irish Moss. :smack:
Hopefully it won't be too cloudy. Depending on the weather I might cold crash it in the garage the night before bottling.
My temperature controlled chamber will be occupied with a Saison for the next 3 weeks.

I also brewed this on the weekend and hit 1.058 but forgot the Whirlfloc/Irish Moss. :smack:
Hopefully it won't be too cloudy. Depending on the weather I might cold crash it in the garage the night before bottling.
My temperature controlled chamber will be occupied with a Saison for the next 3 weeks.

So 1 week later at it is at 1.013.
I added the dry hops today and will bottle next weekend.
Was a great beer last time but when I added the dry hops there was still loads of yeast floating on top which probably dragged a lot of the dry hops to the bottom of the bucket. This time there was only minimal yeast on top so I expect the hop aroma to be more intense.
Anyway, I will report back in a few weeks. :mug:

Bottled mine four days ago and it's tasting very good already.
Ended up with an FG of 1.010 from 1.058.

It's very smooth; like I remember from the last time I brewed it with an OG of 1.052.
Like mentioned earlier I really do believe you could make a very drinkable IPA with this by shooting for an OG of 1.065 to 1.070 and 60 to 65 IBUs.
I'll probably do that next time :rockin:

This is almost definitely my next brew, next week or two. I was thinking of using WLP644, the Brett that's not really Brett strain. Any thoughts or opinions? Might try to do an 8 or 9 gal batch and split it, one with S05 and the other with 644.

I was also thinking of swapping El Dorado for the Willamette.

I entered this into a College Brew Competition and it got a Score of 39 from 2 of the 3 Judges!!.
My highest score yet!.

Thanks

Used this as a baseline for a competition brew.

For a 20 liter batch of 1.054 OG, 42 IBU, 27 EBC beer:
5 kg pale (75.2%)
600g Munich (9%)
600g Vienna (9%)
150g Carapils (2.3%)
150g CaraGold (2.3%)
150g CaraRuby (2.3%)

Boil 75'

14g Summit (16.5% Alpha) @FWH
5 g Summit @T-15'
10g Summit @T-5'
5g Comet (11% alpha) @T-5'
30g Summit @whirlpool for 30'
15g Comet @whirlpool for 30'
30g Summit @dryhop in primary (active fermentation)
15g Comet @dryhop in primary (active fermentation)
30g Summit @dryhop post-fermentation
15g Comet @dryhop post-fermentation

Ferment with US-05 and first dose of dryhops at 18°C, ramp up to 20° after 4 days, keep at 20° until done.
Crash cool.
Rack, bring to 18°C, add second batch of dryhops and keep at 18°C for 3 days.
Crash cool again to allow pellets to settle.
Bottle.
Drink.
Win competition.

So far, no trace of onion, garlic nor bombs.

Wondering if anybody has made this in the last couple years? How have the crop of Summit hops been, has the onion/garlic issue gone away or is it still a gamble?

Not me, but thanks for the reminder :)
Still have some good summit from a few years ago but looking at this grain bill again I might try it with a different hop combo.
If I remember correctly the malt backbone as a bit like a Dale's Pale Ale.

Alright, I'm resurrecting this thread just to give BM a shout out! I absolutely love this brew.. I used it as an experimental "short n' shoddy method" like Brulosophy does.
20 min boil
8# 2-row
1# Munich
1# Vienna
.25# Honey Malt
.25# Crystal 60L
Summit 15.2% (2016) additions:
.5oz @ 15
1oz @ 5
2.5oz Whirlpool
2oz Dry hop

I kegged and force carbed last night and the flavor is huuuge with peach and a bit of Tangerine. No onion or garlic like mentioned earlier in the thread. This beer is beyond delicious, gonna take it to a Father's Day party on Saturday and guaranteed to be a major hit. I think I found a perfect short n' shoddy grain bill for single hop experimentation! BM you are the man and I recommend this to anyone!
20180610_220209.jpg

Glad to see a resply in this thread. Peach isn't exactly what I was hoping to hear about, but your Summits are 2016 so maybe that just from the age. Still sounds like the grain bill is solid for trying out a single hop though.

Back